Who in their right mind wants to eat soup in the summer ?! That was my first thought when I was approached to try out New Covent Garden's new range of summertime soups. Admittedly, the great British summer can sometimes seem more like autumn or spring but I want to be eating barbecues, picnics, fresh fruit salads ... soup isn't really up there on my wishlist.
But I decided to see what was on offer and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought to myself, summer soup - let me guess. Gazpacho. Well yes, there is Gazpacho. There's even an intriguing Melon Gazpacho as Soup of the Month : "Cantaloupe and Honeydew melons blended with cucumber and tomatoes". But there are also some really different and tasty-sounding soups to try that really do sound appealing on a hot summer's day.
New Covent Garden's range of light and refreshing summer soups contains five varieties, two brand new soups – Sunshine Yellow Tomato and Spicy Sweetcorn - and three refreshed favourites from last year – Pea & Mint, Gazpacho and Summer Vegetable. New Covent Garden always amaze me with the totally different soups they come up with - double Brownie points for whoever came up with yellow tomato soup !
But however nice they sound or look in the pack, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so what are they actually like ? I've been sampling them so here are my opinions.
Pea & Mint : If you like minted peas, you'll love this because it tastes the same as eating a plateful of fresh minted peas. The only time I really eat mint is as mint sauce so I kept thinking how nice this would taste with a bit of roast lamb added to the mix ! It can be eaten hot or cold, so is a great option whatever the British summer can throw at us !
Gazpacho : The least surprising recipe so I wasn't expecting to be particularly dazzled by this one. Tomatoes, cucumbers, red and green peppers and a pinch of smoked paprika. I always thought gazpacho had to be eaten cold but the label says this can be enjoyed hot or cold. Lovely and refreshing cold, it tastes like a good, freshly-prepared, home-made gazpacho (without all the annoying chopping and blending).
Summer Vegetable : I wasn't actually sure what counts as summer veg so I checked the list of ingredients : potatoes, onions, broccoli, broad beans, courgettes, peas, spinach, green beans. If that sounds way too healthy, they've added a dollop of double cream and some mature cheddar cheese to make it creamy and luxurious. I could detect an intriguing backnote but couldn't work out what it was so back to the list of ingredients to investigate : mint, garlic, lemon thyme and cracked black pepper.
Sunshine Yellow Tomato : This one makes me think of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe for some reason ! It doesn't taste like normal red tomato soup so don't come to it expecting that - that may be down to the inclusion of carrots and butternut squash. It has a very slight chilli kick that is lovely if you're eating it warm.
Spicy Sweetcorn : Think mildly spicy, not tongue-on-fire heat ! I found this went great as a starter followed on by Mexican ribs and chilli-glazed steaks on the barbecue. The sweetness of the sweetcorn is refreshing in contrast to the spices.
I have to admit, I'm convinced - you don't have to scrub soup off the menu just because the temperatures start rising. The flavours are more subtle and refreshing than with the heartier winter soups and I love the fact that some of them can be eaten cold, so you have an instant light dinner or no-fuss lunch at work.
As with many of New Covent Garden's soups, these are seasonal varieties so get in quick if you want to give them a go because by the end of the summer, it'll be too late !
star rating : 4/5
RRP : £1.99
available in store from late May until September






What a refreshing review! I love how you explored different summer soup flavors and shared such honest, detailed impressions. It's a great guide for anyone looking to enjoy lighter meals in warmer weather. Reading it even inspired me to check out the McAlister's menu with prices and pictures for more delicious soup ideas. 🍲😊
ReplyDelete