Sunday, 25 September 2016

Globecooking recipe : Mini Baked Ring Donuts (USA)

After the resounding success of the totally indulgent Banoffee Whoopie Pies, I couldn't wait to try another recipe from the latest Bake Box which has a New York theme. This weekend, we gave the mini baked donuts a go and they were equally popular. The original recipe, which can be seen on the bake box website, suggested a coffee-flavoured icing with chopped up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on top, but I knew that nobody at The Madhouse would like the coffee flavour (least of all me !) so I actually recycled the failed whoopie pie filling which I hadn't managed to to firm up. I added in some cocoa powder and it was perfect as a chocolate drizzle icing. Nothing goes to waste here !

This recipe uses the mini donut baking tray that was in the Bake Box - very cute it is too! You could probably try to make them free-form though.

Mini Baked Ring Donuts

ingredients :

65g plain flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
½tsp baking powder
50g golden caster sugar
4tbsp milk
1 egg
25g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 180°.

Put the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, salt) in a bowl and mix.

Melt the butter.

Add the milk and egg to the bowl - I used up a carton of coconut milk which worked perfectly.

Once the butter has cooled, add that too and give it all a good stir until smooth and perfectly blended.

Use a teaspoon to fill the donut rings three quarters of the way full.

Put the donut mould on a baking tray and put in the oven for 8-10 minutes until they are firm and springy to the touch.

Leave to cool until you can comfortably handle the donut tray. Gently press each side to loosen them then carefully pop out each donut. Place on a wire rack to cool. Refill the donut mould with the remaining batter and make another batch.

Once the donuts have completely cooled, it's time to ice them. I used my failed whoopie pie filling which had come out too runny - it was a mixture of  75g unsalted butter, 100g full fat cream cheese,
275g icing sugar and a few spoonfuls of cocoa powder when I was still trying to thicken it up. It may have been rubbish as a whoopie pie filling but it was perfect for icing donuts !

Use a teaspoon to drizzle the icing over the top of the donuts.

Top with whatever takes your fancy - digestive biscuit crumbs, silver balls, sprinkles, toffee chunks, mini choc chips, ...

I made these ones yesterday and they disappeared so quickly that I made a another double batch this afternoon !

This used up a bowl of failed whoopie pie filling that was destined for the bin if I didn't manage to recycle it, so it's going in to this month's #KitchenClearout linky. It also used up several ends of tubs of cupcake sprinkles.

Disclosure : I received a free Bake Box subscription in order to share my attempts at recreating the recipes. Bake Box delivers a new package of goodies every two months and each box costs £14.99 + £2.99 postage. For more information and to see the recipes :

Link up your recipe of the week


  1. Those do look nice and a great way to use up baking failures. I love the little doughnut tin

  2. These look great - I have always fancied having a go at doughnuts! #recipeoftheweek

    1. They're really simple and healthier than the fried variety too :)