Tuesday 1 September 2009

Joni Lamb – Surrender All




Joni Lamb is a working wife and mum. She is also the executive producer of and talk-show host on the Daystar Television Network, the world’s second largest faith-based television network -or in other words, a TV Evangelist. I can relate to the former but not the latter, so I don’t always share her point of view. But she always comes across as a genuinely nice, caring person. And she knows how to write in a friendly, approachable way and draw in the reader, giving the equivalent of a big literary hug to those who need one !

The basic idea behind this book is simple – Surrender All to the Lord and all will come good. Follow your heart, not your head and listen to what God wants you to do. He moves in mysterious ways but He has a plan for all of us and if you allow Him to guide your life, this will be – as it says on the cover – “your answer to living with peace, power and purpose”. Don't worry about a thing, don't try to make any decisions yourself, just let God take total control of your life and trust in Him.

I’m sure this is a very reassuring and enlightening read for believers or those in need of guidance. It is basically a catalogue of feel-good stories showing time after time that everything works out in the end. But I have to admit that I personally read it pretty much as I would watch the Jerry Springer show, at times with the same wide-eyed, head-shaking sense of total incomprehension as I discovered people’s lifestories. I have no intention of criticising other people’s beliefs, but as I personally don’t adhere to this school of thought, I admit to finding the book somewhat overlong, oversimplified and tedious.


star rating : 1/5 (but I admit I'm not in the target audience)


Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: WaterBrook Press (September 16, 2008)
Language: English


ISBN-10: 1400073758
ISBN-13: 978-1400073757

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...