Friday 16 April 2010

Vicks Sinex Soother and First Defence Nasal Sprays



Do you remember that really old advert for Tunes when the guy used to go to the train station and ask for "a decond class redurn to Dottingham please" and nobody could understand him until he unclogged his nose ? Well, I feel like him at the moment ! I'm fed up with not being able to smell anything and more to the point, taste anything - where's the fun in eating chocolate when you can't even taste it ! Luckily, I had a couple of Vicks nasal sprays lingering in the bottom of my "to be reviewed" box so now seemed like the perfect time to try them out.


There are two different nasal sprays available, Sinex Soother "for fast & soothing relief from a blocked nose", and First Defence, which "fights cold germs before they can take hold". Well, this time round, it's too late for me to try First Defence so I decided to test out a quick squirt of Sinex Soother.


I suffer from hayfever so I'm already well-versed in the art of using nasal sprays. In general, it's disgusting because it burns your nose and makes your eyes water then tastes vile as it trickles down the back of your throat. That's what I was expecting as I mentally prepared myself to do battle with Sinex Soother, but I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be a much finer mist and certainly didn't burn my nose or taste particularly disgusting.


Having read the instructions, I'd noticed that the recommended dosage is 1-2 sprays per nostril for adults and children over 10 years or 1 spray per nostril for children aged 6-10. Children under 6 years mustn't use it and nobody, whatever their age, should use it more than 2-3 times daily. Pregnant women should also avoid it, and breastfeeding mums should use with caution. People with high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid problems and diabetes should also take special care, as well as those using any other medication.


I was expecting instant but extremely short-lived relief, such as you get when sucking mentholated sweets - they unblock your nose but only for as long as you've got one in your mouth ! Well, I had a quick squirt well over an hour ago and I could still order a train ticket to Nottingham with no problem ! The downside is, I could actually smell when Pierre needed a nappy change instead of going by guesswork, as I have been all week !


Sinex Soother contains Sorbitol and Aloe Vera and the active ingredient oxymetazoline hydrochloride, which is obviously a pretty powerful decongestent because if you take too much, you are advised to go to your doctor or hospital immediately. But as long as you use it sensibly and keep it out of the reach of children, it's a fantastic product to keep in your medicine cabinet for when you've got a stuffy nose.


But prevention is better than cure so if you can get there quick enough, it's got to be worth trying out First Defence. It's another nasal spray but unlike Sinex Soother, it works by trapping cold-causing germs and helping your body to remove them naturally.It's not suitable for children aged under 12 and the box does warn you that when using First Defence, it is normal to experience increased nasal discharge and a temporary stinging or smarting sensation.


star rating : 4.5/5


RRP : £6.99

2 comments:

  1. what is the relatuion between this higienic products and your blog? I mean your always write about books and stuffs like this, I don't know why soon you write something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clue is in the title - Madhouse Family Reviews. It's a blog that relates to everything to do with parenting and home life. Look at the labels - there are more blogposts about children, babies and food & drink than books !!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...