Sunday 29 August 2010

Cheestrings Spaghetti



9-year-old Sophie and 5-year-old Juliette absolutely love Cheestrings. I have to admit, I personally am not overly keen on them. I'm not keen on the taste, which seems a bit bland to my adult palate, and I'm not keen on the texture, which seems a bit waxy and rubbery or even plasticky. It certainly doesn't seem like "real" cheese so it's always made me wonder what they put in it to make it go like that. Well, I now know the answer to that question - nothing at all ! Cheestrings are made of real cheese that is heated and stretched like mozzarella to give them their unique shape and texture. That actually makes me feel a lot better about letting the kids eat them !


Cheestrings already exist in a variety of formats - Original, Twisted, Light, White, Minis, Shots, ... Well, now there's a new one to add to that list - Cheestrings Spaghetti. When I was asked if I'd like to review some, I asked the girls and they yelled "yeeeeesssss" so loud that I probably didn't even need to email back my answer !



Needless to say, the girls loved them, especially as they could suck them up like real spaghetti but without getting told off for getting spaghetti sauce stains all over their clothes ! Each little pack has a challenge on it to see if you can recreate the design with your spaghetti. They loved the taste and thought it was great fun to eat.


As a mum, I love the individual packs that are ideal for school lunch boxes. Over the summer, I frequently threw a couple of packs in my bag as a snack for the kids while we were out and about, happy in the knowledge that unlike chocolatey snacks, they wouldn't melt everywhere. The packaging has six individual bags attached together in a line that you can rip off as needed. As they will mainly be used in school lunchboxes, it would possibly be more practical to have five per pack but the girls were always happy to eat the extra bag left over at the weekend ! At first, they found it really difficult to get into the packets, as did, I until I noticed that there is an easy opening part to rip off quite some way down the bag. As it's much lower than on most packaging, it had totally escaped our notice but once I pointed it out, they managed to rip open each packet with no trouble at all.


Having now been convinced that, as it is made with real cheese, it's a healthy snack option and a good way of getting some added calcium into the kids' diets, I offered a small piece to 1-year-old Pierre. As you can see from the picture, he loved them too !



I'd just like to point out that the tomato sauce around his mouth comes from the pasta dinner he'd eaten just before sampling the Cheestrings. They may be called Cheestrings Spaghetti but I wouldn't recommend serving them with bolognese sauce unless you want extremely messy kids !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £2.29 for six individual packs


Other reviews that may be of interest :

Leerdammer - new 225g block format
Nature with a hint of ... snacks
Baby Weaning - Recipes from Mandy Haywood, Boots Baby Food Expert

1 comment:

  1. Just seen an advert for these, and they look really good. Right up my boys street, they love Cheestrings. On my shopping list for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...