Monday 7 August 2017

Globecooking recipe : Kentucky hot browns (USA)


I first came across a mention of Kentucky Hot Browns on the Southern Living website, which had a roundup of classic American comfort food recipes. I was intrigued enough to click through and I thought it sounded like something that would go down well with the family - basically a cross between a souped-up bacon sandwich and cheese on toast ! I adapted it to use British ingredients and what I had in the fridge, rather than following the original recipe to the letter, but it was deemed delicious.

Kentucky hot browns

ingredients (per serving) :

1 slice fresh baked or shop-bought crusty bread
1 or 2 slices bacon
1/2 a tomato
leftover cooked chicken
Mornay sauce (see below)
parmesan
chives


First, cut some crusty bread into thick slices. I had just pulled a rosemary & thyme focaccia out of the bread machine so I used that. (Not as thick as I would have wanted, but there wouldn't have been enough to go round otherwise.)


Grill or fry the bacon, drain off excess fat on kitchen roll and reserve.


Chop your cooked chicken in to chunks. I used up the leftovers from a barbecue - a couple of chipolatas, two spare ribs and one chicken thigh.


Slice up the tomato.


Grill one side of the bread, then turn it over and pile up the bacon, tomato, then the chicken. Finally, sprinkle over some parmesan and pop back under the grill.


While the toast is cooking, make the Mornay sauce. To make proper Mornay sauce, you should melt some butter, mix in flour to make a roux, then whisk in milk, bring to the boil and stir in parmesan. I went for a cheat's option and cleared out the fridge by combining a squeezy tube of Hollandaise sauce (from an old Degustabox), some crème fraîche and some parmesan. Heat until it starts to bubble and you're good to go.


Serve the toast towers and pour over the parmesan sauce. Finished off with some snipped chives if you happen to have some to hand. Eat with a knife and fork.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***


This was great for using up odds and ends (Hollandaise sauce, leftover cooked meat) so I'm adding it to this month's #Kitchenclearout linky.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...