Thursday 15 August 2019

Book review : Stalker - Lisa Stone


With 4 x 10 hour flights awaiting us to transport us across the world to Alaska, I picked out several crime fiction books for me to read on the plane. Perfect, I thought. No interruptions, I thought. Then they turned all the lights out and we were in pitch black - boo ! Ah well, I did manage to work my way through one of my books in the airports, and I finished it off this week, once I'd finished unpacking.

The title, Stalker, gives you (or, at least, gave me) a pretty distinct idea of the type of person you'll be meeting inside : a secretive, probably kinky, possibly aggressive, type of guy (or girl) - definitely not someone I'd like to meet or hang out with. The central character, however, is nothing like that at all. Derek Flint is a 40-something, hard-working guy who lives with his mum and spend his evenings checking out the families for whom he has just installed CCTV cameras. While this is not exactly legal or morally correct behaviour, his heart is in the right place - he wants to keep them safe, sending a text or email message to get them to check their cameras if something looks a little off.

Things take a turn for the worse though. A series of crimes in the neighbourhood leads the police to Derek's door and his computer makes them think he is behind the attacks. It turns out that this is the least of Derek's problems though ...

It's an interesting book, full of suspense, that will leave you with a chill down your spine because it all sounds just too realistic. In fact, as the author points out at the very end, "This story could happen. It might already have." Eeeek !

star rating : 4.5/5

  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Avon (14 Jun. 2018)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 9780008236724
  • ISBN-13: 978-0008236724
  • ASIN: 0008236720
  • Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 12.7 x 19.6 cm

4 comments:

  1. Oh, a real chiller! Thanks for the review.
    Your comment: 'Then they turned all the lights out and we were in pitch black - boo!' made me smile. Best-laid plans, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it ! However, we did manage to avoid jetlag so maybe that helped ?!

      Delete
  2. That's the kind of book I know I will enjoy. It's pants they didn't let you read in peace on a plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody else seemed to bat an eyelid so I assume it's normal ?!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...