Sunday 26 January 2020

Project 366 : Photo Diary Week 4

Welcome back to Project 366, with a picture for every day of the year. This week was pretty hectic at work so I feel like we didn't do much at all. Three weeks to the next holidays - can't wait !


Sunday 19th January - This is actually the first roast dinner that we've had since Christmas ! As requested by the kids. Roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots, gravy and a dollop of cranberry sauce.


Monday - I had planned on using the left over roast chicken and potatoes from yesterday to make a pie, but the kids had other ideas and wanted chicken soup. This made me think that buying a few tins of chicken soup would give them another quick and simple option for lunch times, when I'm still at work. Well, I have discovered that you can't buy chicken soup in France ! We definitely used to, but in Lidl, they only have veggie options (tomato, pumpkin, leek and potato or mixed veg) and in the bigger supermarket that we went to, they didn't have any either. They did have a Chinese chicken soup with noodles in, but that didn't appeal to the kids. I'll have to stock up on our next trip back to the UK !


Tuesday - The best thing (or maybe the only good thing ?!) about getting up at 6.15am to go to work is catching the beautiful patterns across the sky as the sun rises. What is it they say though ? Red sky at night, shepherds' delight, red sky in the morning, shepherds' warning. Well, it was blooming cold but that was it, apart from a little bit of drizzle at the end of the day, so I can't complain.


Wednesday - we headed into town, for a quick look around the shops before Juliette's orthodontist's appointment, and had a giggle at this stroppy looking seagull ! It's the sales so she managed to convince me to buy her new trainers (admittedly, they were reduced to 50% and they do look cool !) and a new sweatshirt. She had loads of photos taken of her teeth. She's on the end of her treatment now, with her braces removed and just a shield thing to put on overnight. Next visit in 3 months - that's easier to work with than monthly visits !


Thursday - Got home from work just in time to sort the bins out for recycling. I hadn't bothered putting the bottles out all week or the week before because it had been so cold so this was catch up time. Eek, that's a scary amount of bottles.


 Friday - I usually have the morning off but this week, I had to go in all day as the Norwegians were over, for our ongoing project about teaching critical literacy. Since Madhouse Daddy died, I haven't been able to go on the annual trip to Norway for the conference (and to meet up with the Norwegian teachers) - boo ! This year, another school has joined in the project in Spain, so I'll be missing a trip to Spain AND Norway over the next two years - double boo ! When I got home from work, Pierre was already playing Fortnite with his friends ! Ah well, it's the weekend :)


Saturday - We went for our usual let's-start-the-weekend trip to McDonald's, before hitting the shops then going to a friend's house for a catch-up. I couldn't decide what to have, so I tried the new Big Mac BLT - it is what it sounds like, a cross between a Big Mac and a bacon-lettuce-tomato burger. Nice enough, but it just tasted like a normal burger - it didn't remind me of a Big Mac OR a BLT. Not overly impressed !

So that's it, another week done and dusted. Fingers crossed, next week will be slightly calmer. Here's hoping !

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

25 comments:

  1. Seems odd about the chicken soup, but at least you'll have a chance to stock up fairly regularly. It's a shame about the school trips that must be hard especially when you have done them in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely confused about the soup - surely it must be a popular flavour ?! The trouble with the trips is they all want me to go as I work as a translator between the French and Norwegian groups in English. Ah well, they'll survive ! lol

      Delete
  2. How strange about chicken soup. Is it only the tinned variety, or the fresh one in plastic tubs as well? The pink sky looks so pretty, and the seagull is definitely not in a good mood, it looks like she's quarrelling with someone. What a shame about the school trips. I suppose asking your parents to come to look after the kids is too tricky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't think to look for fresh soup in the big supermarket - they don't have any in Lidl though I will continue my investigation ! lol Hmmmm, it's a possibility for my parents to come over - or the kids could go to England - but it's right at the start of September which isn't a great time as it's back to school and lots going on We'll see !

      Delete
  3. How frustrating that you couldn't find chicken soup - I would never have guessed that it would be hard to find in France. That sunrise is beautiful. What a shame the Big Mac BLT was so disappointing. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's obviously not something that's bought much, as they only had a small section in the aisle. I'd never really gone looking for it before - very strange ! lol

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh! It is only 3 weeks until half term. I forgot all about them.
    Yum! I do love a roast dinner. We're having one tomorrow.
    That is crazy that you can't buy chicken soup in France.
    That seagull looks like he's having a right shout about something.
    Ohh! I love the look of the Big Mac BLT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, only three weeks to go - maybe four in England, as we get two weeks off ? Not sure !

      Delete
  5. Unfortunate about the soup. Yum that roast looks good - married to a farmer means we have to have a roast most Sundays. Disappointing about the school trips. And the Big Mac bacon thing. You can't beat the classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree ...although we were discussing the classics the other day and how even those have changed over time, mainly in size !

      Delete
  6. maybe you could make chicken soup and freeze it in portions? Maybe French people don't eat chicken soup.
    Shame about the school trips.....maybe in another few years.
    the seagull does not look happy about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a freezer any more ! They definitely used to eat it, because I've bought it before - very strange. For the school trips, it's a three year project that has been redone for three years, but once that's done, that's it sadly. Ah well !

      Delete
  7. Oh yay! 3 weeks and counting here too. How mad that you can not buy chicken soup in France. Ha ha very grumpy seagull. Sorry you can not make the trips, I hope one day you will be able to go. Could the kids go with you? Maybe a student exchange? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very grumpy seagull, but I have no idea why ! lol. It's just a teacher exchange, working with university researchers, so no kids - and Norway costs a blimming fortune so I'm not paying for them !! lol

      Delete
  8. I'm cooking a roast dinner on Wednesday, we've not had one for ages. We can't buy chicken soup here in Dubai, it's something to do with it not being Halal, maybe you have the same issue in France. I must learn about the recycling in the UK as I'm relocating there on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a halal section in the supermarket, with dedicated fridge and freezer aisles, but the rest of it isn't, so I don't know - very strange ! Sweet & sour sauce in a jar (with pineapple, onions, red pepper, etc) was another cooking shortcut that I wanted to grab the other day, but they've stopped selling it. Weird !

      Delete
  9. How strange that you can't get chicken soup in France! That is a lot of plastic bottles, but I must admit we have a lot too - mainly milk bottles here. What a shame that you can't go to Norway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at the number or recycling bottles - I normally throw them out as soon as the bottle is empty so I don't usually notice !

      Delete
  10. My parents also find strange things that aren't available in Spain. I wish I could persuade my son to have soup as I love it too. That seagull looks really rather mad! #366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken soup is about the only soup they will eat - probably because it's so bland in a tin ! lol

      Delete
  11. Oh dear, that is unfortunate about the soup. That roast looks good. Sorry to hear about the school trips.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the seagull pic. I haven't seen the Big Mac BLT in the UK, I didn't realise food availability was so different #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the Big Mac BLT is on its way to England - you heard it here first ! lol

      Delete
  13. The sky looks great. Great to know Juliette's braces are coming off.
    The project of clinical literacy sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How odd about the soup. Wonder why. That seagull looks well fierce, they scare me sometimes!
    #project365

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...