Wednesday 5 May 2010

Kellogg's Fibre Plus Bars



I was seriously impressed with these bars. The name "fibre plus" and the big "20% of your daily fibre requirements" on the front of the box spells it out immediately - these are treats for the health conscious (or the seriously constipated !). On top of that, each bar only contains 111 calories. Well, that's great news for your waistline but a high-fibre, low-calorie bar can't really ever be as tasty as a bar of chocolate, can it ?

Well, surprisingly, yes ! I tucked in, expecting a mouthful of cereal bar reminiscent of sawdust, and was amazed to taste real chocolate. For once, it really does live up to the "deliciously smooth milk chocolate" label on the box - there's a layer of chocolate on the bottom of the bar and just to be a bit decadent and naughty, they've tantalisingly drizzled more chocolate across the top of the bar in a zigzag pattern. I really don't know how they've made something that tasty that's only 111 calories !

As well as the delicious chocolate, which makes up a non-negligeable 22% of the bar, the ingredients list includes cereals (20% oats), various sugars (oligofructose, glucose syrup, sugar), honey, cocoa powder and a few other bits and bobs. Only one E number is listed (E320) and everything else sounds pretty natural.

One 28g bar (which - unlike many low-calorie chocolate bars - really is enough to fill you up) contains 6g of sugars, 3.5g of fat, 1.5g of saturates and 0.1g of salt, which sounds very reasonable to me.

Until I'd tasted them, I didn't believe the comment on the box, saying "So delicious, it's hard to believe there's 20% of your daily fibre requirements in them too !" but I was pleasantly surprised. I'd highly recommend them if you want a seriously tasty but healthy snack option. Yum !

1 comment:

  1. I love these too but had to eat them in the evening. I found if I ate them in the morning they gave me terrible wind during the day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...