Tuesday 21 May 2019

Book review : The Last Widow - Karin Slaughter


When the latest email popped into my inbox from the LoveReading Reader Review Panel, I browsed through the titles on offer and one caught my eye instantly - The Last Widow by Karin Slaughter. I don't think I've ever read any of her books, which actually surprised me, but as a huge crime fiction fan, I knew that she was very popular and couldn't wait to find out more. When the book arrived in the post, I was impressed by the size - a whopping 446 pages - but I ended up racing through the whole thing within five days !

The book begins with a mum shopping with her daughter, before a van pulls up in the car park. The woman is terrified that her daughter is about to be kidnapped, but it turns out that she is the victim. (I actually felt that this story was underplayed, as I was looking forward to seeing how her daughter and partner would try to come to terms with her abduction.)

A few weeks later, on a sleepy Sunday afternoon, medical examiner Sara Linton is at her parents' Georgia home, awaiting a family lunch and getting grilled by her mother on her relationship with Will Trent, who works at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Will, who isn't flavour of the month, is busying himself in the garden. The peaceful day is brought to a dramatic end by a car crash just down the road. Both Will and Sara rush to help, but soon discover that things aren't as simple as they seem. Sara is taken prisoner and Will is consequently forced to go undercover, desperate to find out where she has been taken and why. 

I enjoyed discovering the characters of Will and Sara, who are both very different but seem to complement each other. Sara's mother, on the other hand, seems very hostile and critical of her daughter's boyfriend and I couldn't really find any redeeming features in her personality. This seemed strange, as her character is nothing but a bit part in the story, but I have since found out that this book is part of a series - the ninth Will Trent book in fact - so I'm sure a lot of water has passed under the bridge in the past. There was no mention of the other books on the cover, but I did have a preview copy so this may change on the official design - I definitely want to go back and read the others now though, to get all the background to the characters. That said, it works absolutely fine as a stand-alone novel and I really enjoyed it.

If you're looking for a book to stash in your suitcase to read on your summer holiday, this is absolutely perfect !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £20

ISBN: 9780008303389
Publication date: 13th June 2019
Author: Karin Slaughter
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Format: Hardback
Pagination: 464 pages
Genres: Crime / Mystery, Thriller / Suspense,



Disclosure : I received from  the book from LoveReading, where I participate in the LoveReading Reader Review Panel.

7 comments:

  1. This book looks like an exciting read, thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book, I like reading series of books as when one ends I want to pick up the next book and get stuck in xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also know of Karin Slaughter, but don't think I've read any of her books, will have to google to trigger my memory. I enjoy gripping crime fiction, and will add this book to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like my kind of book I have read a couple of her books and loved them so will look out for this one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another interesting review. Thank you, Cheryl. The author is familiar to me, too, but I don't remember reading any of her books. Have added this one to my 'buy list.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of Karin Slaughter, but have ne ver read any of her books. After reading your review, I should probably start with the first in the series, or read a book that is not part of a series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not heard of Karin Slaughter, this sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...