Tuesday 3 March 2020

Heck Veg With Edge Vegan Sausages review


You may remember that back before Christmas, we reviewed the latest new product from Heck, Chickfurters, made from chicken breast and a hint of "magic smoke". We loved them and, once our review had gone live, the PR team got back in touch to see if we'd like to review the next products being launched in the range: Heck Veg With Edge. Well, I emailed them back to say that sure, we'd give them a try, but they may not be as popular with the kids as the last lot !

When they arrived, I looked through the flavours and was very keen to give them a go - the kids a little less ! These are not the usual veggie sausages that look like meat and taste vaguely like meat, so that you can pretend that you're not really eating something veggie-friendly. These are sausages made with veggies, dressed up with spices and proud to show their veggieness !


I started off with the Sweet Fusion sausages, which are described as "made with fragrant Thai pesto, sweet potato and sticky rice, packed full of plant-based goodness". Straight from the pack, they smell tempting already. They are quick and simple to prepare, as you just need to heat them in a frying pan for 10-12 minutes - couldn't be easier ! Well, I was surprised to see that these all disappeared pretty swiftly. I loved the flavour and so did the kids - success !


Next, we tried The Beet Goes On, which, as the name suggests, are "sausages made from beetroot, carrot, sunflower seeds and horseradish".  Even before I cooked them, I could tell that these ones would be less popular, because of the smell (and, I correctly presumed, taste) of the horseradish.


I was very impressed to see the red colour coming through as these ones cooked. I thought they looked great once they were ready to serve, but the kids were less keen. Even I wasn't overly won over by the flavour of these ones so I probably wouldn't buy them again, but they're worth a try, especially if you like horseradish and beetroot flavours.


I'd purposely started off with the least green-looking sausages, but the kids were up for trying the others and giving their honest opinions. Next, I went for Vegan Breakfast, "sausages made from mushroom, carrot and tomato with parsley and sage". They are all ingredients that the kids will happily eat, so I was fairly confident. As predicted, they loved them and we gobbled up the lot !


Bollywood Bangers got a mixed reception. The kids didn't like them at all, but I thought they were nice, which just goes to show that it all depends on whether or not you like the spices. These ones are "Indian-style sausages with cauliflower, lentils, pulses and seeds, all spiced up with chilli, ginger, cumin and turmeric". Great for adding a burst of flavour to a casserole or an exotic sausage sandwich.


Super Green were the final option, "made from quinoa and spinach, with ginger, chilli and a hint of mint". Even to me, this just sounded like too many different flavours and sure enough, the kids turned up their noses and left them on the side of the plate. I forced myself to eat them, but I squirted sauce all over them to help them down ! Sorry, definitely not our favourites from the range !

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. We all loved the Sweet Fusion and Vegan Breakfast ones and I'd happily buy them in the future. The others didn't appeal to our taste buds, but it was great to try them and see what we thought, and the fact that they were dressed up in sausage form made the kids much more likely to taste them, which is always half of the battle.

If you follow a veggie or vegan diet, they're definitely worth a try. They're quick and simple to prepare and they're a great way of adding different flavours to your meals. They are also gluten free and high in fibre and they contain approximately 120-130 calories for two pan-fried sausages. If you try them, I'd love to hear what you think.

for more information : https://www.heckfood.co.uk

Disclosure : We received the product in order to share our honest review.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet potato sausages sound the best. I don't think my guys would eat anything with beetroot, sadly. And the green sausages look not that appetising. Saying that, I'm happy to try any new flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually pretty chuffed that they tried them all, and even happier when they liked some of them. :)

      Delete
  2. I would like to say the sausages are great but..... they lack taste

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...