Sunday 17 May 2020

Project 366 :Photo diary week 20

So this week was the beginning of the end of confinement. Primary schools reopened (for three class levels out of five) on a voluntary basis, we no longer need a filled-out form to be allowed to leave the house (for one hour within a 1km radius and yes, the police were checking and dishing out fines) and we can actually travel anywhere now up to 100km within the French borders. The beaches reopened (with rules - one way directions on the promenade and not allowed to sit or lay on the beach) and I think, from what I hear, many of the shops in town reopened too. As I write, I can hear people at the newly reopened market, just opposite our house (with restrictions and just food stalls). But it's all been so busy everywhere, we still haven't been anywhere more than before !


Sunday 10th May - Nothing much going on today. Some marking, some catching up on Netflix, some talking to my parents and Sophie on video chat, ... Someone pointed out to me that that is what confinement has been all about for weeks now, but I've been working every day, so it's still nice to have a lazy weekend !


Monday - The teachers went back to primary school today to get everything ready for the pupils. It will be Pierre's turn tomorrow - eeek ! I used up the leftovers from the roast chicken in a Yellow Rice & Chicken dish which was rather tasty. I do like throwing turmeric in rice to make it look nice and yellow. I'll share the recipe as soon as I get a chance.


Tuesday - We set the alarm, for the first time in absolutely ages, then set off for school. Each class had a different time to start and Pierre's level were the last, going in from 8.40-8.50. This worked perfectly as I had to be back home and logged into a video conference at 9am. This had replaced our meeting at school, as our reopening has been put back (as we're still in a red zone). I listened to the headmaster and learnt about what will change when we go back. The pupils will stay in one classroom per class and the teachers will have to move around, so we need to make sure we have everything we need from our classrooms before we go back. We're still not sure how many pupils will go back to school but are assuming we'll do 2 days per half class per week. Focus is on welcoming pupils back into a school environment and dealing with any issues, rather than worrying too much about the content of what we teach (as there's only a month until the holidays by the time we go back ... if we go back). I made some quick cakes to welcome Pierre home from school !


Wednesday - You might think these look familiar, and you'd be right. I posted a photo of these same cookies last week, but Pierre wanted to make more ! I'd run out of soft brown sugar so tried them with banana sugar and they worked perfectly. This is the third batch of these cookies that we've made in about the last two weeks !


Thursday - A boring day of marking and emailing pupils to check they're all doing ok. At bedtime, went to let the dog out and - woohoo ! - the clock tower opposite our house was all lit up again ! Just before confinement started, the tourist office (in the building that the tower is attached to) appeared to close down - all the posters, the sign with opening times above the door, the big plastic banner on the clock tower, everything just disappeared. At the same time, the clock tower was switched off so the windows and figurines weren't lit up and the bells stopped chiming. Well, apparently, now it's back - but the bells still aren't chiming. Hmmm !


Friday - After chatting to Pierre, he'd mentioned that he preferred being at home with me to going to school and, as I'd signed him back up as I was supposed to be heading back to school, I emailed his teacher to say that, if she was in agreement, we'd go back to homeschooling for two weeks while I'm still off. There were only 5 people in his half-class anyway so about 50% of the pupils had gone back. We'll see how things go from here. Juliette also got some post - all the paperwork for her change of schools, from collège to lycée, as she's 15. I didn't take any photos, so you can have a shot of our dinner - Chinese chicken with cashews. Pretty tasty.


Saturday - Today was the day - the beach was opened and our local market was reopened, on the big car park just opposite our house. We were inside the restricted access zone (with a policeman only letting a set number of people in, when others had already left). I looked at the big queue, wondered whether I was supposed to go and join the end, then skipped over the grass verge and just did my shopping - oops ! For once, I could buy all the fruit and veg that they haven't had at the local Lidl or that I couldn't carry home, along with everything else we needed. All the summer fruit was there - I ended up filling up my bag with everything I could see : melons, watermelon, round courgettes, red pepper (still really expensive but slightly cheaper than at Lidl), oranges, peaches and nectarines, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, new potatoes, cherries, apricots, ... For lunch, we had melon, sausages with new potatoes, then a giant fruit salad. I've never seen the kids so excited about eating fruit !


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

24 comments:

  1. Those cookies look AMAZING!!!!!! I wish I had some biscuits in, but I'm trying to be good and get back on Keto so dunky biscuits with a brew isn't allowed. :(

    It's great to hear that some restrictions have been lifted. My parents are in a green zone in the South West, apparently they can both travel together in the car now... I don't think my mum is impressed by that! You have had it harsher than us though, having to always have those papers to hand, even when simply nipping to the patisserie in the next village! I bet Pierre is happy about being at school and seeing his friends again, it's the start of life getting back to some sort of normality again, just don't think it will get back to how we knew it for a long time!

    Such a fantastic haul from the market, that watermelon looks amazing! Love how you just rebelled and skipped over the verge! ;) Sim xx #Project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of how I imagine sweet rationing coming to an end after the war and kids going absolutely crazy in sweet shops. Except here, it's just crowds and crowds of people everywhere - outside shops, on the beaches, on country walks, ... I'm just waiting until it all settles down a bit before we start joining in !

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had some big changes with you. It's reassuring to read the police were checking on people and handing out fines. I hope it all goes well and everyone stays safe.
    All the food looks delicious.
    That makes sense keeping Pierre home with you if that's what he wants.
    How wonderful to be able to shop again. That watermelon looks huge!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very big and incredibly juicy - the kids keep scooping out a spoonful to eat/drink ! lol

      Delete
  3. Big changes are coming! I think keeping Pierre for another couple of weeks at home makes total sense, if he's anxious about returning to school for now. Your fruit stash looks amazing. Look at the size of that watermelon, how did you even manage to carry it?
    Banana sugar sounds interesting, don't think I've tried it. My guys love choc chip cookies as well, they never last long here.
    How does walking along the promenade one way is working? How do people return back? Still nice to get some fresh sea air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have two separate lanes going each way on the promenade !

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great to have the market back with all that fruit. Nice that you can have Pierre still at home while you're off. I'm not too keen on N going back to school yet and he's not too fussed when it's won't be like normal. Might be some time yet before he's back anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems strange to go back to life as it was before. We'll get there eventually !

      Delete
  6. How lovely that the local markets are open again and that fruit looks amazing! Good idea to keep Pierre at home for the next couple of weeks - it must be very strange going back to school and things being so different from before. The cookies and the chicken and rice look delicious. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory, I'll be back to work for the last month of school ... but nobody really knows at the moment what will happen. :-/

      Delete
  7. The schools in England will be partially re-opening on 1st June but not the other countries of the UK. My yungest has been offered a place at preschool which I have declined as I still don't feel in it safe and social distancing with 2, 3 and 4 year olds is non-existent... I wish I had something to set the alarm clock for! #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to know what to do for the best, isn't it ?! :-/

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had some big changes with you. It's reassuring to read the police are checking on people and handing out fines. I hope that helps. The food looks so good. Big hugs and you are doing great xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. handy to be that close to the market as in theory you could go a few times in the one day to save carrying to much in one go.
    Going to be handy watching if there are spikes in countries that are letting schools back and a bit more freedom,I hope not, but Scotland a re a few weeks behind. Some of the English population seemed to be taking way to many risks and may will trigger a second wave as well.
    Will be nice to see your clock tower lit up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clock tower is good because somehow, it kind of signals that normal life goes on !

      Delete
  10. It has been really busy here too, even though Boris has stated that people should stay at home if they can. We went to the beach but the promenade was packed- thankfully the waters edge was quieter. Mine go back next week as I am a key worker and they are very excited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory, we go back to school the week after next - we'll see what happens !

      Delete
  11. It makes sense for him to stay with you if thats what he wants and you are not back yet. Those cookies look delicious as does all the fruit. My eldest is craving watermelon. It is nice to see it all lit up again. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly getting back to "normal" but it seems weird now !

      Delete
  12. How lovely to have a bit more freedom and good to hear the police are supervising things better than they are in the UK, sadly a lot of people here seem to think as they can go out more it means the virus has disappeared. I won';t be doing much different from what I'm doing now and if I'm honest, apart from visiting family and friends, not much has changed for me and I did manage to see a few people this week. They're putting up vehicle checks with the border to wales which is only 35 miles away but I can't go and socially distance visit my mum just yet. Hope all goes well when you go back to work, how lovely of you to want to continue with home education with Pierre a bit longer, our local school has remained open for key worker children, will be interesting to see how they stagger start and end times and how parent s behave as they queue outside my house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a bit more freedom, but it still feels weird to go out, even for a walk !

      Delete
  13. Good to know that places and stalls are open with restrictions. The rice looks tempting and The cookies look delicious (and bigger than the one I made). I haven't heard of banana sugar. Atleast the lights in the tower are on. That's some intense shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana sugar is one of a range of "fashionable" alternatives - I have coconut sugar too, that I also received for a blog review. They're ok but I probably wouldn't buy them ! We bought less at the market this week - it was just a real wow-moment ! lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...