Sunday 15 January 2017

#MySundayphoto #SundaySnap 15/1/17


When we got home from a freezing cold geocaching adventure last Sunday, we burst through the door saying "Time for hot chocolate !" and almost stepped on this butterfly.


He appeared to have a broken wing - I don't think the two parts are supposed to open independently - so I would guess his chances of survival were pretty slim. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be about at this time of year either so I was in a bit of a quandary as to what to with him. 


I scooped him up on a bit of paper and, after admiring his intricate patterns and shadows for a while, we put him outside in a sheltered alcove by the front door. The next morning, when we went to work/school, he was still there but had climbed up the wall. By hometime, he had gone - no idea if he managed to fly away or got blown away by the wind though !


Sunday SnapOneDad3Girls


7 comments:

  1. What an unexpected visitor in January, don't fancy his chances of survival but a very pretty picture and story to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're used to saying there are no seasons any more for fruit and veg, but butterflies ?!!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty butterfly! Not used to seeing them in the winter!
    #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely patterns in it's wings.

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. I would have been in a quandary too. I know some butterflies hibernate in winter (and global warming means you can see others flying on sunny days) but I would have though it's a bit cold at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea where it just appeared from - I haven't seen a chrysalis or anything, it just appeared on our hall stairs !

      Delete
  5. Poor little thing. I don't know how it managed to hatch in such cold weather. Perhaps the egg was laid somewhere indoors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...