Thursday 19 March 2020

Book review : The Angel - Katerina Diamond


Now that we're in confinement, I have two new best friends : reading and Netflix ! Well, not much change for the reading one, if I'm honest, but I'm on a new mission to clear at least one of my bookshelves while I have some extra time to myself. I have to admit, I thought I'd have a bit more free time, but our new daily routine appears to be helping Pierre with his homework in the morning, sorting out my lessons online and marking all the homework being sent through to me by email in the afternoon, then cooking/cleaning/catching up on the blog and emails in the evening. Hmmm maybe it'll calm down a bit at the weekend !

Anyway, the latest book that I finished this week is The Angel by Katerina Diamond. This is the third book in a series of six featuring DS Imogen Grey, but, despite several mentions of things that had gone on in the past, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a standalone novel.

The story begins with an incident, back in 1986, when two neighbours, both with a baby in tow, have an illicit get-together, which ends in disaster when one of the babies almost dies in the cot. Fast forward forty years and we start following punky gothic teenager Gabriel Webb, experimenting with his clothing, hanging out with his girlfriend and just generally driving his parents insane. On their way to a night out, they stop off at a disused signal box, where, to keep warm, Gabriel lights a fire. They think no more of it, until the police cart him off to prison, assuming he is responsible for the death of a man in the signal box.

While Gabriel comes to terms with life on the inside, DS Imogen Grey and her partner Adrian Miles are following up further crimes, including murders, which eventually lead them to question Gabriel's involvement. Dealing with their own personal problems, as well as the complicated case, they need to get their skates on before Gabriel comes to harm in prison.

It's a fast-paced, enjoyable read with loads going on on every page. As everything started slotting into place, it seemed slightly hard to believe that everything (and everyone) would be so closely linked together, but this is a novel, not real life, after all ! I'm intrigued about the backstory with DS Grey's boyfriend so I'll look out for the previous books, but it's not necessary to enjoy this story.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £7.99

  • Paperback: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Avon (21 Sept. 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0008209138
  • ISBN-13: 978-0008209131


1 comment:

  1. I also noticed that I actually have less time for myself now that the whole family is together. I haven't heard of this author or series but will keep the book in mind, if I come across it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...