Sunday 1 March 2020

Project 366 : Photo Diary Week 9

Last week was the second week of our half-term holidays - one of the joys of the French education system ! We do have lessons from 8am - 5.30pm every day to catch up though, so it probably pretty much evens out in the end. We were still catching up with the family in Hastings, although Sophie was off on a college trip to Germany all week. She's doing business studies and she was going, along with her friend, just to fill up spaces on an art trip, so it was all play and no work on the cards ! She had a big list of galleries and museums that she wanted to visit, along with the odd shopping trip of course !


Sunday 23rd February - Sophie's last day with us, before heading off to Berlin with her college. For her final day, she wanted to go to TK Maxx and stock up on "very important supplies", otherwise known as clothes and make-up ! I can't complain, I managed to find myself a watch and I grabbed some pretty cheap clothes and trainers for Pierre, which always come in handy. We walked back along the seafront towards the pier and had a laugh at the Parkrun signs. It was a circular route, but the kids had a good giggle at it being the shortest parkrun ever !


Monday - We headed into town for a look around the shops. Not Pierre's favourite thing to do, so I bribed him with a go on the trampolines. Happy faces all around !



Tuesday - As my sister and her boyfriend were at work and Sophie was in Germany, my dad had enough space in his car for a family trip out with the grandparents, but where to go? We ended up in Raystede Animal Rescue Centre in Ringmer, which is a great place to visit. It's free entry (donations very welcome) and there are all sorts of animals to see, including rabbits, turtles, dogs, cats, sheep, parrots, donkeys, alpacas, ducks and geese, who chased us all around much of the park, trying to peck us. It didn't matter, it didn't hurt and they did make us laugh ! We finished off with lunch in their café and a look in their charity shop.


Wednesday - After mooching around the town centre, we popped into a café for a drink and a cheeky doughnut. I was impressed with their lighting, made with a selection of kitchen implements, including these rolling pins. I could do this at home, to make more space in the kitchen cupboards. I'd probably end up braining someone though, if I didn't attach them properly !


Thursday - We went for lunch at the The Moorings in Pevensey Bay as a surprise birthday treat for my uncle, who was celebrating his 60th birthday. It's a great deal, as you can get a three course meal for £10. I opted for prawn cocktail, steak & ale pie with mash and peas and - finishing off in style - black forest gateau with ice cream. Great food for a great price, and it was lovely to catch up with my uncle. We had a quick wander about on the beach opposite to help digest afterwards !


Friday - Our final day in Hastings so I asked the kids what they wanted to do. After a trip to ASDA to stock up on British essentials (bacon, sausages, cheddar, apple sauce, beans, etc), we finished off with a final trip to the amusements in the Old Town. Pierre would happily spend the whole of each holiday in here ! We found a great machine which spits out literally hundreds of tickets when you win the bonus. These can then be exchanged for prizes at the shop at the back. On top of that, you can win sweets from the machine, if you manage to push them off, and both Juliette and Pierre came home with their pockets stuffed !


Saturday - After staying up late for Sophie (she should have got home around midnight/1am, but eventually arrived closer to 2am as they couldn't find the coach at Gatwick !), we decided to leave home a little later than planned and set the alarm for 7.30am, rather than 6.30. It was another blowy day - after storms Ciara and Dennis, it was time for Jorge to put in an appearance - so I was glad we were on the Tunnel again. We got back on the later train with no problems, popped into town for a pizza, sorted out Sophie's glasses (they couldn't be tightened so the frames will be replaced under guarantee - bonus !) then it was time to wave goodbye to my dad and Sophie until next time. Only seven weeks until the next holiday, so I expect we'll come back over then.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter



18 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great 2nd week of half term. It sounds like Sophie especially had a great time visiting Germany.
    Pierre does look happy on the trampoline.
    Those rolling pins do look fab! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie did have a great time - she was so excited telling me about everything they did ! The rolling pins are a great idea - I'd never have thought of it !

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a fabulous half term. Glad Sophie enjoyed her time in Germany. Those rolling pins look interesting xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said - I'd never have thought of hanging them up but them looked quite good ! lol

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. I like the look of the lighting too. Glad Sophie enjoyed her trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - as I'm on holiday, I don't think of all this kind of stuff as being busy, only when I'm rushing around at work … like now ! lol

      Delete
  4. Sounds like aother really busy week with family. That meal sounds like an absolute bargain!! #366

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful 2nd week of the holidays and I love that part of the world. been meaning to ask you if your 2 dogs are also bilingual? I ask because my dog is South African but been living in Dubai, I call him in Afrikaans and tell him to stop pulling in Arabic, I'm not sure he understands the dogs in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dogs (or dog now, we only have one left) understand both languages. However, on my trips to the UK, I have been known to moan at my parents' dog in French when I've just woken up and he obeys, more or less (usually telling him to get out of the bedroom or stop scratching the door !) so I think it's more of a voice thing than the actual words? Not sure ! lol

      Delete
  6. sounds like a great time was had. Shame Sophie was away some of the time you were there.
    The three wee ones like doing shove penny and winning tickets to pick prizes.
    I might just be able to run that race....backwards of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 8am to 5:30 is very long but you get holidays. I hope Sophie enjoys her trip; it sounds very exciting! A circular route parkrun..cute. Hahaha it's fun having animals chase you or you chasing them & never being able to catch them. That's a fun interior of the cafe..you'd never forget where your kitchen utensils are.
    Tempting food at the birthday and the beach looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I prefer a longer day and longer holidays, to be honest ! lol

      Delete
  8. What a lovely half-term with your family! I didn't realise you have such long school days. Kids must be exhausted by the end of the day.
    The parkrun photo made me smile, very amusing. Geese could be pretty vicious. The café interior is fun, as long as the ceiling is high. In our kitchen it wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the tiny kids at the maternelle school I feel sorry for. They go from age 2 or 3, school is 8.30-11.30 then 1.30-4.30, but if the parents work, they go to the canteen. Every afternoon they bundle them all off to a special room with mats on the floor where they have a sleep. Very strange ! lol

      Delete
    2. Oh no, poor little mites, that's very tiring.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a lovely second half of the holiday! I love the amusement arcades and the tokens that you can save up #project366

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...