Monday 13 June 2011

Ambrosia Custard Coated Apple and Banana Flakes review



***** STOP PRESS 15/05/2012 : I've just been informed that until 1st June, you can grab a free trial of the banana flavour now by visiting http://www.humdinger-foods.co.uk/ThingsWeMake/TheFruitFactory/AmbrosiaCustardCoatedFlakes/Ambrosiaterms.aspx  *****


When I was asked if I'd like to try out a new kids' snack from Ambrosia, I was expecting custard pots or creamed rice pouches. I wasn't expecting sachets of fruit covered in a custard coating. But that's what we got and the kids love them !



The sachets are the perfect size for kids and best of all, they're incredibly clean to eat. No crumbs, no melting chocolate and no sticky hands so they're perfect for eating on the go, in the car or popping into school lunchboxes.



I was surprised at how small the little nuggets are when we opened the bags. I was expecting banana chips and apple rings or possibly chunks of dried fruit but it's actually pureed fruit. The banana flakes are made from a mix of Banana Puree and Apple Puree with a few added extras like sugar, rice flour and gelling agents. An average of 74g of banana and 42g apple single fruits equivalent are used to prepare 100g of flakes. A 20g bag contains 95 calories. The Apple Flakes are made using Apple, Apple Puree and Apple Juice from Concentrate (with an average of 79g of single fruit equivalent used to prepare 100g of flakes), also containing 95 calories per 20g bag.



Juliette started off saying they looked like grains of sweetcorn, then decided they looked like teeth and would be ideal for filling up the big gap where her two front teeth have fallen out !



Even if I would have preferred actual chunks of dried fruit rather than sweetened puree, I have to say they are absolutely delicious and all three of the Madhouse mini-testers were in total agreement.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.89 for 5 x 20g


Other reviews you may be interested in :


3 comments:

  1. Not something I would think of from Ambrosia but these look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how fast they disappeared in our house !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing to add to my shopping list!

    Smudger_26

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...