Sunday 1 April 2018

Globecooking recipe : Colcannon (Ireland)


Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish, made of mashed potato mixed with kale or cabbage. I decided to make a more child-friendly version by replacing them with another green vegetable that the Madhouse kids were less likely to turn their noses up at - leeks. This isn't traditional though, so I should probably rename the dish cheesy leek mash.

Colcannon

ingredients :

potatoes
milk
butter
salt, pepper
leeks
grated cheese


 Boil some potatoes in salted water (I always leave the skins on for extra fibre) for about 20 minutes until the point of a sharp knife pierces them easily. Drain and mash them, stirring in milk, butter, salt and pepper.


While the potatoes are cooking, gently fry some leeks in butter. Reserve until the potatoes are cooked then stir into the mash.


Add a handful of grated cheese and stir through. 


 Taste and add extra salt or butter if needed.


I served this with vegetable patties and turkey steaks. Pierre made me laugh because he looked worriedly at the meat and asked if it was a dolphin - it did look a bit like one !


Fancy trying some other Irish dishes? How about :


Linking up to the brand new World Food Linky over at Jess Eats and Travels


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky as it used up some leeks and potatoes.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, don't eat dolphins! :) My guys wouldn't eat kale or cabbage either. I do love mash with anything, my perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a clue what he was going on about as I was busy serving, then I looked at the plate and couldn't help but giggle !

      Delete
  2. Yum! I do love mash and I think colcannon is one of my faves! Thanks for linking up to my World Food linky! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw bless. Sounds like something my son would say

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...