Thursday 31 March 2016

Globecooking recipe : Irish Stew (Ireland)


I always thought that Irish Stew was made with lamb but the recipe in my Irish-themed Kitchen Trotter box called for veal, so I took an even bigger liberty and used pork ! I think you could probably use any cheap cuts of meat to be honest. I decided to verge even further away from the recipe and use my slow cooker and I was really pleased with the result. Good hearty rustic food that gets all of your five-a-day in one plateful !


There was a sachet of Irish seasoning in the Kitchen Trotter box, which is a blend of white pepper, garlic, fennel, chilli, rosemary and thyme.

Irish Stew

ingredients :

500g stewing pork or lamb
2 onions
2 carrots
3 turnips
8 green cabbage leaves
1 leek
4 potatoes
2tbsp parsley
2 bay leaves
3 chicken stock cubes
salt, pepper
2tbsp Irish seasoning (see above)


Collect all your veggies together and get peeling and chopping !


Put the meat in the bottom of the slow cooker with the onions and a drizzle of olive oil and sear on the hob to give it some colour. (Depending on your slow cooker - you can leave this step out if it's not possible.)


Toss in the carrots and turnips.


Then add the leek and potatoes. When I lived in halls of residence with some Irish girls, they never used to peel their potatoes before boiling them, which is something I've now adopted !


Add the stock and seasoning and cook on high for 4-5 hours, adding in the chopped cabbage leaves for the final hour or so.


This makes a huge potful that fed a hungry family of five with leftovers.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

5 comments:

  1. A delicious stew! The words "Irish stew" always make me think of Jerome K Jerome's trio from Three Men in a Boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect it to be so packed with flavour - very lovely and there were plenty of leftovers for after my busy day at work the next day :)

      Delete
  2. I think slow cooker recipes are great. You can pop out for hours while your dinner cooks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to come home after a long day at work, particularly in winter when it's cold and wet, to a lovely warming dinner ready to serve without lifting a finger :)

      Delete
  3. I don't cook with lamb much. Looks nice though

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...