Thursday 17 March 2016

#Kitchen Clearout : French Chicken with Garlic & Herb Wedges


Last week, I decided to have a stocktake in my kitchen cupboard and was slightly shocked at the number of sachets in my seasoning tin - 35 to be precise ! - so, when I sat down to write this week's menu plan, the main priority was using up some up those sachets. 


These were the first two to go, not least because they were both past their best before dates. I'm not too worried about herbs and spices though, they just lose flavour rather than actually going off.



I started off with the Garlic & Herb wedges. I haven't made wedges for years and I really don't know why because they were lovely and made a nice change from our usual Actifry chips, baked, boiled, mashed or rissoled potatoes. I don't think I'd bother with the seasoning sachet again though, as I have plenty of herbs and spices on my shelf to get creative with. A quick drizzle with oil, shake over the seasoning, toss it all about then off to the oven for 45 minutes.


The French Chicken Seasoning mix is one of the two part sachets with a bag in the top and a seasoning mix in the bottom. I chopped up some chicken breasts and mushrooms and popped them in the bag.


Mixed up the seasoning mix with water.


Poured it in the bag and sealed it with the bag tie.


Off to the oven with the wedges. I decided to make my oven multitask and save a few pennies on the energy bill by baking some potatoes for the next day too.


Once the chicken was cooked, I emptied the contents of the bag into a large pan and stirred through a jar of green beans. We thought it was a bit bland so I added some Mapuche spice (basically a paprika/chilli type of thing) that I had on the shelf.

The verdict : the chicken was a bit bland but the wedges were a huge hit with the whole family. That's two less sachets in my seasoning tin too !


What's lurking in your larder? Have a rummage through your kitchen cupboards and come and show us what you found (and what you did with it) in the #KitchenClearout linky.

5 comments:

  1. Just realised I haven't done wedges in a while - we will have them tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised I haven't done wedges in a while - we will have them tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loads of different ones, need to do the same and get them used up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at what I find lurking at the back of the cupboard - definitely worth having a clearout !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...