Monday 21 March 2016

#KitchenClearout recipe : Brazilian BBQ Chicken with Sweet Potato Wedges & Mango Salsa


Springtime definitely appears to be on the way but barbecue season is still a long way off, so I was keen to recreate a vibrant plate of zingy, vibrant Brazilian BBQ-themed food that added a bit of sunshine to a midweek mealtime.



As I'm still on a mission to clear out the sachets in my kitchen cupboards, I had a good rummage and came up with two that could go together - a Brazilian BBQ Smokey & Zesty Marinade Mix that I decided to use with chicken and a Spicy Cajun Mix for wedges.


Following the instructions on the pack, I mixed the marinade with oil and white wine vinegar and gave it all a good stir..



I put four chicken breasts in the bowl and turned them over a few times until they were evenly coated in marinade, before putting them in the fridge for an hour.


I decided to make sweet potato wedges rather than potato ones for a change so I drizzled them in oil then sprinkled over the spicy cajun mix and tossed them all to evenly coat them.


 I popped them in the oven for 30 minutes which turned into more like an hour because I got tied up with the builders fixing our roof, so they ended up being overcooked. They still tasted nice but they were very mushy.


To add some South American zing, I knocked up a quick mango salsa by mixing the finely chopped flesh of one mango with 1/4 of a red pepper, half a small onion, a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of dried mint. I popped it in the fridge to chill while I cooked the marinated chicken.


 I decided to keep the BBQ theme going by grilling it on the Optigrill, which always produces beautifully cooked, juicy meat. The three flavours really worked well together and it actually ended up being a pretty healthy dinner !


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky because it used up yet more sachets from my tin, as well as the end of a bottle of white wine vinegar. (Can vinegar go off? It looked a bit cloudy.)

7 comments:

  1. Nice meal. I think I have a sachet of grill mates somewhere but you needed something odd to mix it with so I never used it. Must dig it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White rum? It's probably the one I used with my Mediterranean fish (also in the #KitchenClearout linky) - you can just leave it out :)

      Delete
  2. Those sweet potato wedges look yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice - they make a nice change to regular potatoes every now and then :)

      Delete
  3. These recipes look superb - I shall be very busy trying them out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...