Wednesday 23 March 2016

Madhouse recipe : Orange Drizzle Cake


I often make Lemon Drizzle Cake but when I saw Paula Deen's recipe for Orange Brownies, I was intrigued. I was hoping for something bursting with orange fruitiness and deliciously gooey but I was a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure if was down to using different flour to the American version of the original recipe or a problem with cooking times (I halved the quantities and halved the cooking time but it was totally liquid so I added an extra 10 minutes but then it came out more as a cake than brownie consistency). It was ok but we found it a bit bland, and the orange extract gave it a slightly bitter flavour, especially in the outer crust.

Orange Drizzle Cake


ingredients :

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1tsp orange extract
1tsp orange zest
1/2 cup icing sugar
1tbsp orange juice

Preheat the oven to 180°.


Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.


Add the eggs and butter and beat with a fork or whisk.


Mix in the orange extract and zest.


Transfer to a greased brownie pan or cake tin.


Bake for 20 minutes and test with a skewer. Try not to overcook it though - aim for a brownie consistency so slightly undercooked is the way to go.


Mix together the orange juice and the icing sugar and drizzle over the top.


1 comment:

  1. A great yummy recipe involving small amounts of ingredients which is great for when the baking cupboard is running low !!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...