Friday 3 September 2010

Melvita Shampoo and Conditioner for Tired Hair





The French seem to be taking centre stage in the organic beauty market lately ! Straight after testing some lovely products from Lovea, I was given the opportunity of trying out some new organic hair care products from fellow organic French brand Melvita.



I have to say, I think this is a brand that needs some serious "sexing up" ! The packaging is totally uninspiring and they would never leap off the shelf at me screaming "buy me". It's plain and looks almost clinical and I'm pretty sure I'd just walk straight past it without even noticing it.



The shampoo, which comes in a clear plastic bottle, looks unnervingly like TCP antiseptic ! - I'd be much more likely to buy it if it wasn't such an off-putting colour or if it came disguised in an attractive opaque bottle. It smelt vaguely medicated, not really unpleasant but actually reminding me of the fragrance of dog shampoo ! It made my hair feel very clean - literally squeaky clean - but I was alarmed to get the impression that it had totally stripped my hair of natural oils. Luckily, the conditioner - which is light and non greasy - sorted it all out and left me with tangle-free, nicely revitalised hair.

The shampoo promises that it "revitalises tired hair damaged by chemical colouring or heat styling combining Sage and Geranium essential oils with a stimulating combination of Trace Elements (Copper, Zinc and Magnesium) and Maidenhair. Damaged and tired hair regain shine and vitality." I have to admit that my hair did seem extra shiny and less dry and frizzy than usual.

The blurb for the conditioner says that it "makes flat and tired hair easier to comb and style, thanks to the stimulating properties of specific Trace elements (Copper, Zinc and Magnesium) and the revitalising qualities of Sage and Rosemary essential oils. Pleasantly scented with Geranium essential oil, it makes hair livelier and shinier without weighing it down." I'm still not entirely won over by the scent but it does do what it says on the label and I was impressed with the condition of my hair afterwards.


Melvita have a huge range of hair care products available, allowing you to choose the perfect combination to suit your hair type. The basic categories are tired hair, dry hair, normal hair, oily/problem hair and family use and they explain on their website that they have specifically formulated their shampoos to be sulfate-free and rich in botanicals to benefit each hair type and their silicon-free conditioners to complement the action of their shampoos to offer real nourishment. I did use the Melvita shampoo with my usual conditoner the first time (because I'd forgotten to take the Melvita conditioner into the shower with me !) and I did feel that my hair was in much better condition when I used the two Melvita products together.

The products are very effective and really do give you lovely "straight out of the hairdresser's" hair, but I did feel they were slightly let down by the packaging and the fragrances. I'm still really pleased to find a natural, organic hair care range that works so well.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £9 for 200ml, £18 for 500ml, whichever product you choose

Other reviews you may be interested in :
Lovea's Moroccan Argan Brilliance Shine Shampoo
[A'kin] Gingko & Jojoba Intensive Moisture Vitamin Hair Masque
Earth Friendly Kids Minty Lavender Shampoo & Bodywash
[A'kin] Jojoba & Lavender Conditioner

1 comment:

  1. I dont think the packaging needs 'sexing up'. If I am looking for healthy organic and natural products, these pakcaging types and color is excatly what makes me feel comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...