Saturday 19 November 2011

World Foods Malaysian Chilli Coconut Marinade review



After trying out World Foods Thai Turmeric Lemon Grass Marinade and Stir-Fry Sauce last week (which I blogged about here), it was so simple to use that I promised I'd do something much more complicated with my next product. Today, I decided to use their Malaysian Chilli Coconut Marinade that they had also sent me and turned to their website for inspiration.


A couple of minutes later, I proudly announced that we'd be eating Ayam Percik for dinner. I asked Sophie if she'd like to help and she nervously asked if it was complicated. "Nope", I replied, tossing a quartered onion (which would replace the deep fried shallots of the original recipe) and some chicken thighs into a dish. "In the words of the late great Henry Cooper, splash it all over and that's it !" Sophie looked at me suspiciously, but I'm not sure if that was because she couldn't believe how simple it was or because she didn't have a clue who Henry Cooper was !


The marinade is very thick, similar to the consistency of ketchup (the proper stuff, not the cheap watered down ones !), so it takes some shaking to get it out of the bottle ! We used the whole bottle for four chicken thighs, which was perfect. It should be left to marinate for at least 30 minutes but the longer you leave it, the deeper the flavour. I left it for 2 hours, nervous of leaving it for much longer because it's labelled as "hot" (with a 3 chilli rating) on the label.


After 45 minutes in the oven, the marinade had turned into a delicious sticky glaze, the onions had caramelised and the juices from the chicken had created a lovely spicy sauce that I dribbled over the chicken and rice. Heat-wise, it gave a very slight tingle to the tongue but I wouldn't have called it spicy so next time (and there will definitely be a next time !), I'll leave it to marinate for longer.

The World Food website describes this as "a spicy and aromatic marinade with sweet notes of coconut milk complemented with turmeric and spicy chillies. Ideal to be used with meat, fish or poultry for roasting, grilling, pan-frying or barbeques. Perfect to create an authentic Ayam Percik dish." 100g contains 149 calories and 4.6g of fat, of which 4.1g saturated, so it's a less light option than the Thai Turmeric Lemon Grass Marinade and Stir-Fry Sauce but that's down to the coconut milk.

When it's this quick and easy to create authentic and absolutely delicious exotic food, it makes you wonder why anybody buys takeaways. These homecooked dishes are not only healthier but also cheaper options and it's so gratifying knowing that you've cooked it yourself. In France, there are very few takeaways - pizza, McDonalds and kebabs are about your limit in Dunkirk. There is one Indian restaurant but it doesn't do takeaways, a few Vietnamese delicatessens (but they're only open during shop hours and you have to reheat it yourself) and that's your lot. Even KFC only exists in Paris and a few big towns and exotic food is hard to come by ! - so, now I know how easy they are to use, I'll definitely be taking a crateload of World Food products back with us and continuing our culinary voyage of discovery !

star rating : 5/5


Other reviews you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...