I always think there's something very tasty about John Torode, and it isn't just his cooking ! I'm not sure why - I think it's a mixture of the Aussie accent, the cheeky grins and the put-downs that are sometimes worthy of Simon Cowell but manage to stay just the right side of arrogant. Anyway, I digress ... ! John Torode and Millie Mackintosh have teamed up as Perfect Host panellists on a campaign with Tassimo to supply tips and recipes perfect for any get together - very handy in the run up to Christmas.
John Torode’s Ham and Cheese Bread Pudding is a new take on the traditional Bread Pudding and makes an ideal brunch, lunch or dinner dish. With the familiar flavours of ham and cheese, it’ll be a sure-fire hit with guests and can be paired with a simple green salad, followed by a delicious hot drink - Tassimo suggest pairing it with a Tassimo Costa Latte. You can use cupcake, Yorkshire pudding moulds or a muffin tin to make these and they are great as snacks or also side dishes.
The quantities seemed enormous to me but it's for 12-16 puddings so you could halve the proportions for a family meal.
John Torode’s Ham and Cheese Bread Pudding
Makes approximately 12 – 16 puddings
· 3 eggs
· 4 egg yolks
· 300g of grated mozzarella
· Salt and ground black pepper
· 200g smoked ham shredded
· 450 milk
· 450ml double cream
· 50g salted butter
· 1 loaf white sliced bread
· Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven at 160 C/325 F/gas mark 3.
2. Mix the eggs, egg yolks, salt and pepper together, then pour in the milk and cream, mixing together well, but do not whisk.
3. Remove the crusts from the bread, cutting each slice into strips, as if you are making soldiers.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the cheese and ham.
5. Grease the moulds well with salted butter.
6. Start to layer the moulds with first a couple of strips of bread, then the ham and cheese mix. Repeat until each mould is 3/4 full.
7. Cover each with the egg custard mixture (as made in step two) and leave to soak for 10 minutes, so the bread absorbs the mixture.
8. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, then take from the oven and allow them to set at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
TIP: You could serve these with horseradish cream
Other blogposts you may be interested in :