Friday 9 September 2016

Globecooking recipe : ANZAC biscuits (Australia)


ANZAC biscuits get their name from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps because the World War I army wives and girlfriends would make them and send them to their sweethearts. They're a lovely chewy mixture of oats, flour, sugar, butter, golden syrup, baking soda and desiccated coconut. I have actually made them before - you can see my alternative ANZAC biscuits recipe here - but this time I used the recipe from my Aussie-themed Kitchen Trotter box. As it uses brown sugar, it gives them a darker colour and a richer flavour. 

ANZAC biscuits

ingredients :

120g Golden Syrup
125g butter
100g brown sugar
40ml water
90g rolled oats
1tbsp bicarbonate of soda
150g flour
4tbsp dessicated coconut

Preheat the oven to 180°.


Put the butter, sugar, water and golden syrup in a bowl - I used dark muscovado which gave it a very dark colour and rich flavour. I also substituted part of the butter for coconut oil, to give it an extra coconutty flavour.


Melt in the microwave or a saucepan. Bring to the boil then, stirring constantly, mix in the bicarb.


Mix in the flour.


Then add the oats and the coconut.



I was all out of dessicated coconut so I crushed up a bag of coconut chips, which gave them a lovely crispy, chunky texture.


Dot spoonfuls of the mixture on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. They will spread out quite a lot so space them out.


Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. They will stay soft when you take them out of the oven but will firm up once they've cooled.

I'm munching on one as I write this and they have a lovely satisfying gooey chewiness and a rich sweetness from the brown sugar and golden syrup. I once made ANZAC biscuits topped with mini Smarties which also worked really well and was a big hit with the Madhouse kids !

4 comments:

  1. They look really good! My wife has made something similar before, without the coconut. I must chase up what they were....

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look nice, have most of this in the cupboard too

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious I have never made them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have always wondered what was in an amzac biscuit - think they would be a hit in this house

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...