Monday 25 February 2013

Anzac Biscuits recipe


As it's half term, we have been baking like loonies all week here at the Madhouse so we've turned once again to the Baking Mad website for some inspiration to try something new. Having spent many an hour in my youth watching my daily dose of Neighbours and Home & Away, their recipe for Anzac Biscuits leapt out at me, especially when I glanced at the ingredients list and realised that we had everything we needed.

Ingredients

85 grams Porridge Oats
85 grams Dessicated Coconut
100 grams Plain White Flour
100 grams Caster Sugar
100 grams Butter Plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp Golden Syrup (or we used 2 tbsp honey)
1 tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda

Method


Heat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Put the oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the golden syrup.


 Add the bicarbonate of soda to 2 tbsp boiling water, then stir into the golden syrup and butter mixture. (I couldn't see the point of the bicarb to be honest - it fizzes up ever so slightly, like when you're making honeycomb, but only a very small amount. Anyone know?)


Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter and golden syrup mixture. Stir gently to incorporate the dry ingredients.


Put dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to buttered baking sheets, about 2.5cm/1in apart to allow room for spreading.


Bake in batches for 8-10 mins until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


These are absolutely lovely. The honey gives them a lovely gooey, slightly chewy texture and the oats make them crumbly. Even the Madhouse Mini-testers loved them so I'll definitely be making these again.

The Diary of a Frugal Family


I'm joining in with the World Cup recipe challenge over on the Cooking Around The World blog

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

16 comments:

  1. I read this post when I got in from work and immediately raided the cupboard - yes - I had everything in! Really easy and very tasty, I can't see these lasting long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These sounds really nice and also easy! May give these a go, thanks for the recipe :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never have too many biscuit recipes, question is do they keep well? (assuming we don't manage to eat them all straight out of the oven)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't usually last long in our house ! They do keep well though, at least for a few days, possibly longer if given the chance !

      Delete
  4. Ooh they look yummy ;-)

    Thanks for linking up with #CookItBlogIt x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have all the ingredients at home, too. Lovely biscuits. The only problem is, they don't last very long in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, didn't know there was coconut in anzac biscuits, must try this recipe. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds so yummy and so easy to make homemade always better, bet they wont last long with my lot great recipe ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made these for a while - time to remedy that !

      Delete
  8. I know what I'm doing this six weeks holidays trying some of these fab recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally made these -Absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margaret Clarkson
    I used to make these years ago. They were so nice, I must make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum i love anything with coconut

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...