Friday 15 February 2013

Quadruple Choc Muffins recipe

Looking for inspiration for something different to bake with the Madhouse Mini-Testers, I turned to the Trex calendar on my wall and was very tempted by their Triple Chocolate Raspberry Muffins recipe (click through to see the same recipe on their website).


This sounded like the ideal recipe for using up some of the contents of the fabulous baking hamper I won from Baking Mad a few months ago. I've been wondering what to make with the chocolate chips !

Here's the original recipe :

Ingredients

200g (7oz) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
15g (½oz) cocoa powder
50g (2oz) TREX, chilled
100g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
40g (1½oz) milk or dark chocolate chips
40g (1½oz) white chocolate chips
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
100ml (4fl oz) milk
100g (4oz) raspberries

Method :

Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/ Gas Mark 6. Place 8 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper. (I made 12, using my silicon muffin tray, and they were still a very reasonable size.)



Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl, then rub in the TREX with your fingertips. Stir in the muscovado sugar and most of the chocolate chips, reserving a few for decoration.


In a jug, beat together the egg, vanilla extract and milk. Add to the dry ingredients with the raspberries and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix.


Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips on top.


5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen. Cool on a wire rack.



 I didn't have any raspberries but I did have some strawberry-flavoured chocolate buttons which we melted down in the microwave (with a tiny splash of milk) and drizzled over the top.


They're light and fluffy and actually have quite a delicate flavour - I was worried they'd be a bit TOO chocolatey but they weren't at all. Everyone at The Madhouse, whatever their age, said that they were lovely. (I say were because they didn't last long !)

Trex have a lot more lovely recipes on their website, including a kids' section, so it's well worth a look. I fancy trying the Lemon Curd Butterfly Cakes next but the Roasted Vegetable and Cheddar Plait caught my eye too. (Check out http://www.trex.co.uk/recipes/)

Link up your recipe of the week

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Whitworths Sugar Baking Challenge recipe #1 : Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

8 comments:

  1. QUADRUPLE? Oh now you're talking my kind of language! these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - not too good for my diet though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GASP! Hand them over immediately! ;) Pinned and Stumbled. Thanks for linking up to #recipeoftheweek - there's a new linky up now, so do come and add another recipe, if you haven't already :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't used trex in years.I like the idea of using the raspberry buttons for icing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Trex lard by a brand name? And I prefer old fashioned paper cases, otherwise I think all the edges are exposed and (if left) get dry in these new fangled squashy silicon baking trays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trex isn't lard, it's vegetable fat, marketed as a lighter/lower fat and dairy free alternative to butter. You can use any fat you want though.

      I can't stand paper cases, they always get stuck to the cake and the kids leave them lying around for the dogs to eat ! I use silicon baking trays then keep them in a cake tin which keeps them nice and moist. Each to their own though :)

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! Great pic tutorial ~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...