Friday 8 February 2013

New York Bakery Co Bagels review


Whenever I go on holiday, I always buy a deodorant that I've never bought before because when I get back home, I can buy that brand during the dreary autumn and winter months and will be mentally transported back to my carefree, sunny holiday every time I smell it. The same is true of food so I always have a particular soft spot for bagels because they remind me of the first time I ever ate them, on our fabulous honeymoon in America. Our traditional breakfast was bagels with cream cheese from one of the local delis and we loved trying out the different flavours of bagels.

I was therefore excited to see what we'd think of New York Bakery Co's new range of bagels that they offered to send us through to try out. We received three new flavours : Fruit and Oat, Red Onion and Chive and their Limited Edition Blueberry variety. 

We started off with the Fruit and Oat ones. I've read a lot lately about trying to add more fibre-rich wholegrains such as oats to your diet to help look after your heart and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. I've taken to throwing a couple of handfuls of oats in with the flour when I use the bread machine so I loved the addition of oats to this recipe. The juicy fruit adds some sweetness and stops them being dry and we really enjoyed these for breakfast, toasted and eaten plain with just some butter on them.

The Madhouse Mini-testers couldn't get enough of the Blueberry ones so I think it's a real shame that these are a limited edition. Hopefully, if enough people buy them, they'll have a rethink and make them into a permanent addition to the range. I love the sweetness of the berries and the fruity flavour so, again, ate them plain, toasted with a scraping of butter, so that the topping didn't detract from the flavour of the bagel. These are great as an after school snack.

I decided to go for a more decadent filling with the Red Onion and Chive variety because the more robust flavour can fight its corner and not be drowned out by the filling. We had cream cheese (Philadelphia) and smoked salmon on one evening, and ham, cheese and tomato on another, and the flavour combinations worked really well with both. You can actually see pieces of onion and chive in them so you know all that flavour is from natural sources. Absolutely gorgeous and perfect for perking up your lunchbox.

If I've made you fancy a bagel now, you might like to know that it's National Bagel Day tomorrow (or today, if you're reading this in the daily digest email on Saturday morning !). No, I didn't know that existed either but it sounds like a good enough excuse to buy some to me !

One thing I did notice though is that you now get 4 in a bag, whereas I'm sure you used to get 5. Or maybe I'm imagining things ?! Luckily they're filling enough that Pierre and Juliette are happy to share one so we can still feed the whole family with one pack. Something we didn't do this time but that we have done in the past is cut the bagels in half and serve them as a Loch Ness monster, which the kids loved !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.55 for a pack of 4

for more information : http://www.facebook.com/newyorkbakery

Disclosure : I received some New York Bakery Co Bagels in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


5 comments:

  1. Do you know, I do that every holiday too but I'd never realised I do it until now! Makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was such a thing as 'National Bagel Day'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor did I until I read the info with the bagels ! It's celebrated in America too on the same day and they give away free bagels to mark the occasion - fingers crossed they start that in the UK too !

      Delete
  3. Mmm I love the sound of the red onion & chive ones! In fact I like the sound of them all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...