Saturday 23 February 2013

DVD review : Nurse Jackie Season 4


Season 4 of Nurse Jackie is due for release on Monday. This is a series that has totally passed me by but the synopsis sounded good so I was keen to see what I'd make of it. The official blurb says : "Edie Falco stars as Jackie Peyton, an emergency room nurse in a busy New York City hospital. For Jackie, every day is a high wire act of juggling patients, doctors, fellow nurses and her own indiscretions. The show is alternately smart, funny and dramatic."

Edie Falco, who made her name in The Sopranos (that's another series that I totally missed out on - I'm always planning on buying the boxset and playing catchup), stars as the rule-bending nurse. Nurse Jackie is described as "a pill-popping, rule-bending medical renegade, dishing out her own brand of justice on the wards… any of her colleagues that get in the way better watch out". Sound familiar? It instantly made me think of Dr House, who shares Nurse Jackie's Vicodin-addiction, warped sense of moral judgement and dark humour. Nurse Jackie reminds me of a cross between House and ER, with the emphasis as much on the personal dramas of the medical staff as the crises they encounter at work.

In Season 4, Jackie is finally dealing with her addiction, as well as an ambitious new hospital administrator (Bobby Cannavale), who is determined to run a tight ship and keep Jackie in line. Jackie is a deeply-flawed but instantly likeable character and I really enjoyed watching the boxset, despite jumping in at Season 4. I'll definitely look out for the earlier series now to find out what I've missed.

Each episode only lasts half an hour so I've been watching four at a time ! Season 4 covers 3 DVDs with a total runtime of 280 minutes. It has a 15 rating, due (as far as I can tell) to some bad language and a few dubious storylines that might need some explaining to pre-teens !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £17

Number of discs: 3
  • Classification: 15
  • Studio: Lions Gate Home Entertainment UK Ltd
  • DVD Release Date: 25 Feb 2013



Disclosure : I received a preview DVD in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

DVD review : Tower Block

1 comment:

  1. Thus, through these strategies, marketers without doing extra work get success results to buy You - Tube
    views,buy Twitter followers and Facebook likes. The technique is
    pretty new and is beneficial to locate Website marketing firms that come with the options to buy Facebook likes
    as it is so straightforward. It has to be checked and ensured that the fans and followers on
    Facebook and Twitter respectively are active.

    my web blog :: get Youtube Views

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...