Thursday 28 February 2013

Our "Juliette" Victoria sponge cake !


When I announced to Juliette and Pierre that I had the intention of making a Victoria sponge cake, Juliette asked the perfectly reasonable question why call it Victoria ? There nobody at The Madhouse called Victoria ! Fair enough, we'll make a Juliette sponge cake instead then !

The whole point of making this cake was to use up the opened tub of Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing that had been sent through for decorating the fairy cakes for the Tree Fu Tom twitter party so, for simplicity (as the kids were helping), I used a supermarket own-brand sponge cake mix. It only costs about 25p and takes out all the effort of measuring out ingredients. You just add one egg and a bit of water.


It actually makes a perfectly reasonable sponge cake that is light and airy. Cutting it in half is always a bit delicate and a few of the edge bits fell off.


I used some WeightWatchers raspberry jam to spread over one half - the raspberry flavour is slightly tart so contrasts nicely with the icing which is very sweet and creamy.


I'd never used ready-made icing before but I have to say, I was actually very impressed. It's really smooth, melts in the mouth and has a deliciously rich vanilla flavour. Sophie said she thought it tasted of melted ice cream and the kids kept pinching a sneaky spoonful out of the tub when they thought I wasn't looking !


Juliette had great fun squishing it all into my Tala Icing Syringe and licking her fingers far more than I think was actually necessary !


I had to help pipe the icing around the top because it was making her fingers hurt but she took over with the finishing touch - loads of silver balls !

The whole cake took less than an hour to prepare from start to finish and and totally wowed the Madhouse Mini-testers. Juliette patiently waited for Madhouse Daddy Mike to get home from work so that she could show off her handiwork, then the whole thing disappeared in a matter of minutes !

I'll be looking out to see which other flavours of icing are available in the Betty Crocker range because I was actually very impressed with the taste and convenience of the product.

Disclosure : I received a tub of Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing in my Tree Fu Tom twitter party pack but I wasn't asked to blog about it.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares recipe

7 comments:

  1. Yum yum, the Juliette cake looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliette cake sounds perfect, and girlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Juliette, maybe need to invent a new cake that we could all make and you could be famous

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really tasty, and now my tummy is rumbling. I have never tried a sponge cake packet mix but after reading this I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...