Wednesday 26 September 2012

Whitworths Sugar Baking Challenge recipe #1 : Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


I was over the moon to be picked by Britmums recently as one of the Whitworths Sugar Baking Challenge bloggers. I received a lovely pack from Whitworths containing some kitchen essentials like an oven mitt and gorgeously festive apron (am I reasonably allowed to start feeling Christmassy yet ? Less than a hundred days to go after all!), as well as the whole range of their sugars in its handy new packaging that stands up and is resealable. There was also a rather clever Twist & Sprinkle (sounds like what Pierre does when he goes to the toilet !!) Icing Sugar cannister and a fab snowflake template for making my cakes look funky and ... am I allowed to say it again ?! - Christmassy !

My first task was to use the kit to rustle up one of my own tried-and-tested recipes. Well, I decided to go all retro and make up an old-fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake, just like me granny used to make. Here's the recipe we use :



Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients

for the topping :

50g softened butter
50g Whitworths light soft brown sugar
can of pineapple rings in syrup, drained (but keep the syrup)
optional : glacé cherries

for the cake :

100g softened butter
100g Whitworths fine Demerera sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
a good glug of juice from the tin of pineapple

Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. 


For the topping, beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and creamy. Spread over the base of a 21cm round cake tin. Arrange the pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings, if desired. (We do usually but I forgot to buy some - oops !)


Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with some of the pineapple syrup and whisk to a soft consistency.


Pour into the cake tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it's level. Bake for 35 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate. Serve warm.


Utterly gooey and delicious - a real trip down memory lane too.

Disclosure: I'm working with Whitworths Sugar, whose www.whitworths-sugar.co.uk site includes ideas and recipes for baking with sugar. Follow the conversation on Twitter with the #bakingS0S hash tag and @WhitworthsSugar.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

5 comments:

  1. I was quite disappointed not to get picked for this one, as Im sure many others were too. Love pineapple upside down cake in this house and you have put me in the notion to make one soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only regret was that I forgot the glace cherries ... so I might have to make another one very soon to rectify the situation ! lol

      Delete
  2. Lovely selection of goodies (a very cute apron), alas, I wasn't chosen for this challenge. Never mind. Your recipe is delicious! I have been doing the pineapple fritters a few days ago, with the fresh pineapple, after reading a book called The Aloha Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh pineapple fritters are lovely - as are apple and banana fritters :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh I have never tried this, now the children are both at school I think I will give this recipe ago :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...