Saturday 8 September 2012

"I made this!" meme & competition


When I saw that Emma was hosting an "I made this" meme over on her Mellow Mummy blog, it made me think of the fabulous (if I say so myself !) creations that I used to make when I did patchwork. In fact, I look at them now and wonder how I ever had the time, especially as I made them totally by hand, never wanting to buy a sewing machine. The answer is, in fact, simple. I stopped all my sewing/patchwork/cross-stitch projects at exactly the same time as I started blogging - there are only so many hours in the day, after all, especially with three kids and a full-time job to juggle !


Actually, looking at this throw that I made over several months has actually really made me want to start doing all that again now. Not only was it great fun selecting all the fabrics and cutting all the little bits out and painstakingly sewing them all together, watching the bigger picture appear, it was also a great keepsake because I used to use bits of material from special clothes that I wanted to remember. Just looking at these pictures, I can recognise a piece of yellow maternity dress from when I was pregnant with Sophie, some pink flowery material from Juliette's much-loved sun dress, a bright red square of Sophie's first pyjamas, ... This all makes me smile and feel quite nostalgic.


While I admit I'd probably never have the time to make something quite so ambitious, at least until the kids are older, I am tempted to dabble in some of the smaller projects that were equally rewarding, such as this fun cushion that I threw together in a few days. Again, I can see some more of my yellow maternity dress in the sunflower, the red heart is an old tie of Madhouse Daddy Mike's and the beige background used to be a pair of much-loved ultra soft jeans (that I'd forgotten all about until I saw this photo !).



It would be great fun to dig through the kids' worn-out clothes and make them into something that they can put out on show in their rooms to hold on to the memories, much as I did when I cut the pictures off their outgrown T-shirts and pyjamas to create a funky (and functional) shoe-tidy.



In fact, I think this was my final crafty project - a changing mat cover that I made for Pierre out of a stretchy jersey maternity dress that was too stained to pass on and appliqué used by tracing a picture of Winnie the Pooh from a kids' colouring book ! I made myself laugh at every nappy change with the cheeky "poo(h) time" logo that I added !

So thanks Emma, for giving me my crafting mojo back - now I just have to find the time ... and the space to get all my crafting supplies back into circulation ! Hmmmm I'll have to have a think !

If you'd like to join in with the "I made this!" meme and competition, just click through on the badge below. I'll also tag a few bloggers who I think might like to get involved !



Mellow Mummy I Made This Meme


Disclosure : This is my entry into Mellow Mummy's "I Made This!" Meme & Competition, that you can enter by clicking through on the badge above.


19 comments:

  1. I am in awe, you are a woman of so many talents. I love patchwork, but never done any myself. Thank you for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you share - I'm thinking something foodie but I'm sure you have hidden talents too ! xx

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I've never tried patchwork ever but like you, I'm not sure there is a spare minute in my life for it - I did attempt to rediscover my sewing machine when Lara was born. I made her one gorgeous dress and cut the fabric for a second but it remained umade (the blog took me over!) and now I am thinking of sewing it up for Holly now 3 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know I have an envelope of precut patchwork pieces somewhere - not sure I can remember what the project was now though !!

      Delete
  3. Wow these are so good, very talented! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to do patchwork. I also crocheted a double bed cover when I was about 10. drove my mother up the wall undoing knitted items that were too small back into wool to use, not uncommon back in the 60's and 70's.

    Know what I will use.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my nan unpicking old knitted jumpers and winding the wool round the back of a chair ! But it was all kinky from being knitted ! lol

      Delete
    2. yes that was the down side. but stick it in a pillow case and wash it, then straighten to dry it out.

      Delete
  5. wow this looks amazing, so many memories in there for you too, its a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the kind of thing I am thinking of doing with the kids old clothes - cant bare to throw them! Some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mines done http://www.funasagran.co.uk/2012/09/the-i-made-this-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are gorgeous. I must look and see what I've made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried my hands at most crafts apart from Patchwork and Crochet, both of which I am still really keen to try. I have a dream that one day I will make a beautiful patchwork quilt for my daughter that she will still have on her bed in year's to come when she starts Uni or leaves home. I can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you start with simple squares, it won't take long at all - you should give it a go :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...