Thursday 13 July 2017

#readcookeat recipe : Blackberry Bibble (The Magician's Lie)


Last week, when we took the dogs out for a walk and I replaced one of my geocaches that had been destroyed, I was stunned to see ripe blackberries in the bushes along the canal path.



We decided to go back with a bowl a few days later and, even if there was already someone blackberrying, there were plenty to go round. We tied the dogs up for a welcome rest and braved the brambles.


We managed to get a big bowlful and there were still lots left so I think we'll probably go back for more later in the week. I've never seen them this early in the year - we usually go blackberrying in Brittany at the end of August when we visit the grandparents.

The next question was what to make with them and this reminded me of a #readcookeat recipe that I'd bookmarked ages ago, when I read The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister.

p204 We'd planned to go to Keen's to celebrate the occasion with mutton chops and red berry bibble, but we got to talking and lost track of the clock. By the time he checked his watch, we decided to content ourselves with sandwiches and keep working.

I was intrigued by the mention of red berry bibble but, when I went to investigate, I discovered that this is exclusively a Keen's recipe, invented by their own chef. I did find out that it was a mixture of red berries and crème fraîche though, so I decided to create my own twist, using blackberries. I also used vanilla yogurt instead of cream, as I had a big tub in the fridge.


Blackberry Bibble

a few cupfuls of blackberries
2-3tbsp sugar (to taste)
a glug of blackcurrant & cinnamon syrup (optional)
vanilla yogurt (or crème fraîche)


Put the blackberries in a saucepan with the sugar and heat for a few minutes over a gentle heat, stirring frequently, until they start releasing some juice but remain whole and the sugar has dissolved.


As I had a bottle of Blackcurrant & Cinnamon Syrup lurking in the cupboard, I added some of that to give it extra sweetness and depth of flavour.


Spoon the fruit and juice into individual bowls.


Top with thick yogurt (with the thickness of Greek yogurt ideally) or crème fraîche, if you want to be authentic.


Keep in the fridge until you're ready to serve.

The sweet tartness of the fruit really complements the cool creaminess of the yogurt. It's a quick and simple dessert to make that involves minimal cooking so it's great when you're too hot to spend ages in the kitchen.


Adding to the #KitchenClearout linky as it used up some of my blackcurrant syrup.


Linking up with the #readcookeat challenge over at Chez Maximka.

6 comments:

  1. Delicious dessert! And great minds think alike, as I made a similar dessert today with Greek yogurt and strawberries, might do a short post tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a thornless bramble in our garden (Loch Ness it's called) and we've picked some already! Very early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Global warming maybe? Or the very early heatwave ?

      Delete
  3. Oooh they look delicious, we have lot of bramble bushes in the garden next to ours and up the cycle track across the road, I will have to try these my children and partner would enjoy them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a great foraging dessert -and I love your little dogs so sweet !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...