Tuesday 11 July 2017

Globecooking recipe : Bokkeumbap (Korean fried rice)


Bokkeumbap is a Korean fried rice dish, which packs in lots of extra veggies and is a great way of using up any leftover cooked meat after a Sunday roast or a barbecue. Many versions use kimchi - fermented vegetables which you can buy in the shops or make your own (click through to find out more about both versions) - but in this dish, I used white cabbage instead, which worked perfectly. If you leave out the meat, you have a great vegetarian dish too.

Bokkeumbap

ingredients :

drizzle of olive oil
1/4 of a white cabbage
3 carrots
2 onions (I used red but any would do)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 a red pepper
1/2 a green pepper
leftover cooked rice
leftover cooked meat, shredded (optional)
2 spring onions
2tsp sesame oil
2 tsp oyster sauce
black pepper
1 fried egg per person


The most time-consuming part of this dish is peeling and finely chopping all the vegetables. I used what was in the fridge but you could add courgettes, mushrooms, aubergines, ... whatever you fancy really.


Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok and gently fry the onions and garlic for 3 minutes. Smells great already !


Add the white cabbage and carrots and continue to stir-fry for 5 minutes.


Red and green peppers are great for adding a splash of colour so if you have some, dice them up and throw those in too. 


I had half an ice cream tub's worth of cooked rice and a small amount of meat (that was pulled off six spare ribs) but if you haven't got any leftovers, you could use a microwavable pouch of rice and ham, chicken, sausage, bacon - again, just use whatever you have.


Throw the rice and meat into the mix, along with the oyster sauce and cook, stirring frequently, for a couple of minutes until it is warmed through. Turn off the heat and stir through the sesame oil, sprinkle over the chopped spring onions and grind some fresh black pepper on top.


Serve with a runny fried egg on top.


Fancy trying some more Korean cuisine? How about :


This used up some cooked rice and BBQ meat and is a great way for clearing out the veg drawer of the fridge, so I'm adding it to this month's #KitchenClearout linky.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it looks and sounds absolutely mouth watering xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fried rice with leftovers. Your version looks very tasty. Alas, kimchi is not widely available locally, I only saw it in a health food shop priced at £5.50 for a very small pouch. I picked it up and put back in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it but the recipe that I posted above looks simple enough - I definitely wouldn't pay that for it !

      Delete
    2. I was looking where I can buy kimchi online. Apparently Ocado has it, though I don't shop with them. And Sainsbury's too. Will have to check out our local Sainsbury's, I haven't noticed it there before, but maybe because I wasn't looking for it.

      Delete
    3. I'd be tempted to make my own !

      Delete
  3. looks fab especially the egg on top!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...