Thursday 9 January 2014

Kitchen Nomad globe-cooking recipe : Korea - Sweet Potato Noodles


To accompany the Sauteed Eggplant that I told you about earlier, the second part of our Korean feast was Sweet Potato Noodles.



I found all the exotic ingredients that I needed in my Kitchen Nomad box - sweet potato noodles, sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds and dried shiitake mushrooms.


The noodles are made with sweet potato starch and are also called glass noodles - it became apparent why when I cooked them. I had a real fight getting some out of the pack because they were all tangled up and had to call in Sophie as reinforcements with a pair of scissors !


The dried shiitake mushrooms need soaking before you use them and this isn't marked on the recipe card so I almost missed out this vitally important step. I soaked mine for half an hour in boiling water but you can soak them for longer - mine stayed a bit hard.


The photo doesn't really show it but, once cooked, the noodles do look strangely glassy and transparent.


I decided to replace the spinach in the original recipe with kale, which worked really well. After quickly cooking it for a few minutes, adding garlic, sesame oil and soy sauce gave it a lovely flavour - something I'll try again as a side serving of kale or green vegetables with a meat or fish accompaniment.


I pretty much always adapt recipes to suit what we have in the fridge so the beef was replaced with leftover cooked pork and chicken. I love all the barely cooked veggies in this dish - carrots and shallots were next to go in, along with the shiitake mushrooms.


Time to unceremoniously dump the whole lot in a bowl and mix it all together with the soy sauce and sesame oil. I actually totally missed out the sugar in the recipe, not noticing it until I'd already served it, but I don't think it needed it at all.


One lovely colourful plateful, but what would it taste like? Well, very nice actually ! I wasn't at all sure about all the different flavours going together but it works really well. Madhouse Daddy said he'd have liked a bit of a kick so I'll add some extra chilli powder next time. Our first foray into Korean cuisine was definitely a hit though.

Disclosure : I received a discounted Kitchen Nomad subscription in order to keep you up to date with their latest boxes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...