Saturday 18 January 2014

Ollo Foods Carrot & Tamarind Sweet & Piquant Chutney review


In the run up to Christmas, Ollo Foods sent me a couple of their products to try out. Then my Christmas hamper arrived, I stuffed my cupboards to absolute bursting point with packets and jars and these little beauties got pushed to the back. As I made a New Year's resolution to clear out the food cupboards, they've just resurfaced and I instantly tried the Carrot & Tamarind Sweet & Piquant Chutney.


 I dipped in a spoon, noticed all the lovely chunks of slightly crunchy carrot and had a taste - wow, it's a real explosion of flavours with just the right level of chilli heat coming through. I was convinced that I could detect ginger but having a look at the ingredients list, I was way off the mark. The refreshingly short and artificial additive-free ingredients list is as follows : Carrot (60%), Tamarind, Onion, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Cumin, Fennel Seed, Pepper, Nigella Seeds, Red Chilli, Fenugreek Seeds, Maize Starch.


I made a simple cheese and ham sandwich (literally a slice of bread topped with a slice of ham and cheese - no butter, margarine, mayonnaise or anything else spread on the bread) and it was amazing. The chutney took it a totally new level, with a much more complex and robust flavour than a regular cheese and pickle combination.

The Ollo Foods website suggests serving it as a condiment to lift a curry or layering it in a cheese toastie, adding it to liven up a salad or accompanying pies, cold cuts or a ploughman’s lunch. I've also been experimenting with it and it's lovely stirred through cooked rice or mashed potato (great for jazzing up leftovers). It also gives soups and stews a lovely lift if you stir a couple of spoonfuls through just before serving.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the Smoked Spiced BBQ Glaze too. It's on this week's menu plan for Wednesday so come back then to see what we thought. I'm salivating already !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £9.50 for 3 jars


Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Giovanni Rana fresh filled pasta review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...