Tuesday 28 January 2014

Booja-Booja Truffle Selection N° 1 review


Booja-Booja recently sent us through a rather swish box of their organic truffles for us to try out. The solidly-built chocolate brown box with embossed gold writing looks like it should contain expensive jewellery rather than chocolate, so we made sure we kept this one well hidden until the kids were in bed. Rather too well hidden actually - I came across it when clearing out the cupboard at the weekend and squealed "ooh, I'd forgotten that I'd hidden that up there !"


I couldn't help but smile when I opened the box. There is a little card inside with a "Boojagram" on it that reminded me of fortune cookies with their slightly cryptic mystical messages. Ours said : "Learn lessons lightly when you can" - hmm.


Under the protective paper is a shiny gold foil seal, keeping those truffles nice and fresh and in perfect condition. I almost squealed "we've found the golden ticket" but, even if this reference to Willy Wonka was in-keeping with the chocolate theme, it seemed slightly too irreverent for the all important moment of discovering those decadent truffles nestling beneath.


The box contains four rows of three truffles and they all look identical, so make sure you know which way round the box is when you look at the accompanying descriptive sheet.


Now, I must admit, I did a bit of a double take when I saw the flavours (well, one in particular) : Fine de Champagne, Cherry Cognac, Kalamon Olive and Around Midnight Espresso. I don't like coffee and I wasn't at all sure about the combination of olive and chocolate so it was with some trepidation that I bit into the first one.


They're actually very nice though with a richness and slight bitterness that chocolate connoisseurs will love. The olive flavour is barely detectable so doesn't interfere with enjoying the chocolate, as I had feared ! It's great to know that they're all handmade in Norfolk and are organic, dairy, gluten and soya free.

I must admit, the Truffle Selection n° 2 does appeal to me more than this selection. It contains the less unusual and "safer" flavours of Rhubarb & Vanilla Fool, Hazelnut, Banoffee Toffee and Almond Caramel. Given the choice of that or olive, I know which one I'd choose !

If you want a sophisticated, special chocolate gift for Valentine's day, you know where to look. Booja-Booja truffles are available in all good delicatessens, independent health shops, fine food halls, Selfridges, Planet Organic, Wholefoods and Ocado.com.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £13.50 for 141g

for more information : http://boojabooja.com/

Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Ferdia Milk Chocolate Salted Caramels review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...