Monday 6 January 2014

Madhouse recipe : Parsnip & Carrot Mash


You may remember me telling you about discovering The Orchard programme recently - it's like BzzAgent but for Tesco's. I signed up and was immediately offered a campaign around winter vegetables, namely carrots, parsnips and sprouts.


They're all vegetables I use already but I never really do anything exciting with them - I sometimes boil sprouts to go with the Sunday roast and parsnips an carrots usually get chopped up and shoved in the roasting tin under the meat.


Well, today I decided to get a bit more experimental and try out some root veg mash without potato - I usually do a mixture of potato, carrot and parsnip. As a lighter option, I tried it today with just carrot and parsnip and it was lovely. I peeled some carrots and parsnips and chopped them into chunks then boiled them in salted water for 10 minutes. After draining, I mashed them exactly as I would with potatoes, added some butter and milk then mixed in some garlic salt and black pepper. It made a nice change and I would think it's slightly lower in calories than regular potato mash. I'll definitely be trying this on top of cottage pie and fish pie in the future for a splash of added colour.

Disclosure : As a member of The Orchard programme, I received some vouchers for winter vegetables in order to spread the word about how we used them.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Pidy Vol au Vent Cases review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...