Saturday 18 January 2014

Madhouse recipe : Mango & Banana Mousse


Now, I'll be honest - this recipe didn't turn out AT ALL as I intended but everyone scoffed the lot and said it was lovely, which is the most important thing ! The starting point was this packet of edible spoons that I'd been sent to review from Pidy.



They can be used with sweet or savoury fillings and, as I had an over-ripe mango sitting in the fruit bowl begging to be used, I decided to make mango mousse. I looked through the fridge expecting to find a tub of Philadelphia, St Moret, marscaopne or something similar but hungry mouths had beaten me to it. My next idea was to whip up some crème fraîche into whipped cream and gently blend in the pureed mango but I only had low fat cream which wouldn't work. OK, on to plan B !



Mango & Banana Mousse


ingredients :

the flesh of 1 mango
1 banana, mashed
1 mango-flavoured yogurt
4tbsp icing sugar

This is very much a work in progress and I thought the result was a total disaster - until everyone oohed and aahed and ate the lot !

After cutting and peeling the flesh of the mango, I put it in a bowl and pureed it with a stick blender. This went much more liquid than I expected so, rather than pureeing the banana, I just mashed it roughly to keep some texture. This did thicken it up but gave it a very lumpy texture. The banana also overpowered the flavour of the mango, which I tried to rectify by adding a mango-flavoured yogurt. The icing sugar isn't really needed as a sweetener - it was a final failed attempt to thicken it up !


I had to abandon the idea of using a piping bag to make pretty mango mousse swirls in the spoonettes and just dolloped a spoonful of mixture in each. After eating them, the kids asked for another one out of the box and used them to eat the mousse straight from the bowl before eating them - that means less washing up which was a bonus !

Disclosure : Thanks to food PR agency CLIP Creative and PR for the Pidy samples

Link up your recipe of the week

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

6 comments:

  1. This looks great fun and the edible spoons is a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to serve desserts in, must look out for those, the cream cheese or quark would be my idea to thicken it. But as you say, its all in the empty plates that makes a dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really nice and I love the edible spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these spoons and the mousse looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mousse sounds delicious and I love the look of those spoons. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've Tweeted and Pinned this post and there's a fresh linky live now. I would love you to join in x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...