Saturday 4 January 2014

Pidy Vol au Vent Cases review


Pidy recently sent me through a selection of their pastry products to try out in The Madhouse kitchen. I thought that they would be a great way of jazzing up the leftover turkey and I was quite right ! 


I decided to start off with the Vol Au Vents cases (which incidentally means fly in the wind !). They're supposed to be ready to fill but I thought they were too puffed up inside and didn't leave enough room for filling so I cut out the pastry from the middle so I could deep fill them.


For the filling, I fried up some finely chopped mushrooms in a little olive oil and put them in a bowl with the finely chopped leftover turkey. I added 2 tablespoons each of Philadelphia and Applewood Spreadable to give it a lovely smokiness, popped it in the microwave for a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt then mixed it all together with a shake of black pepper and garlic salt.


Following the instructions, I'd put the vol au vent cases in the oven to preheat for 10 minutes. I pulled them out, stuffed them with the turkey mixture and popped the little squares that I'd cut out on top.


I popped them back in the oven on a low heat while I finished off the mash and they were ready to serve.

The whole family loved them and were very impressed with how professional they looked - I was very tempted not to tell them that I hadn't made them from scratch ! They're a great way of turning leftovers into a really impressive looking dish and could be used with any combination of flavours you like - prawn salad, veggie chilli, cheese and bacon or even sweet fillings would work.

Disclosure : Thanks to food PR agency CLIP Creative and PR for the samples

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Making Flowerpot Bread from The Kids Only Cookbook

Maggi Lemon & Herb Chicken review

3 comments:

  1. Yes please, send me some of your lovely vol-au-vents, Cheryl! They look yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'll throw some out of the window and see if they do fly on the wind ! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the nice review but to have vol au vents without creamed mushrooms inside is scandalous. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...