Monday 27 January 2014

Madhouse recipe : Apple and Pear-offee Pie


You may remember me telling you about the Degustabox that we were sent to review last month. Well, I was delighted to discover that I'll be receiving some more Degustaboxes to tell you all about which is rather exciting. I also had a good look at their website over the weekend and discovered that they have a blog and a Facebook page that have some rather lovely recipe ideas for using the products from the boxes - the Chai Spiced Crispie Cakes and Dad's Pot Roast leapt out at me as ones to try using last month's box, but they also inspired me to come up with one of my own, using products from the Degustabox and my kitchen cupboards.


 I decided to make something using the Cocoa Belvita biscuits and went rummaging for inspiration.


Hiding at the back of my cupboard was a jar of Confiture au Lait - Milk Jam - which is like a cross between caramel and condensed milk. Inspiration struck ! I came up with a twist on the classic Banoffee Pie.

Apple and Pear-offee Pie


ingredients : 

1/2 box of Cocoa Belvita biscuits
75g butter
1/2 jar confiture de lait (but you could use instant caramel or cooked condensed milk)
1 pear
1 apple
a glug of orange juice


Put half of the box of Belvita biscuits into a freezer bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into rough crumbs. Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave (heat for 30 seconds then stir) and mix in the biscuit crumbs.


Use baking parchment to line a sandwich tin and firmly press the biscuit crumbs into it with the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge for 1/2 hour.


Meanwhile, peel and chop the apple and pear and put them in a small saucepan with a glug of orange juice. Cook over a low heat until it becomes soft and pulpy while retaining a few large chunks. Set aside to cool.


Take the crumb base out of the fridge and gently remove it from the tin using the paper.


Spoon over the confiture de lait.


Top with the cooled fruit and serve immediately.

What impressed me even more was that we had a powercut just after I'd melted the butter in the microwave and I still managed to pull it off, by candlelight at the end !


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Potato & Meatball Pan Fry

Madhouse recipe : Spicy Carrot Soup

4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious going to try with my little one, get him eating some fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is unusual but sounds delicious, would love to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...