Friday 24 January 2014

Ollo Foods Smoked Spiced BBQ Glaze review


Last week, I discovered the utterly lovely Carrot & Tamarind Sweet & Piquant Chutney from Ollo Foods, which got a well deserved 5/5 in my review. I had a second product from the range that I was therefore really looking forward to trying - the Smoked Spiced BBQ Glaze.


My initial plan was to marinate some chicken thighs in the glaze overnight before grilling them, but when I read the label, it suggested adding the glaze towards the end of the cooking time. I therefore put the chicken in the oven for 40 minutes before pouring over a generous quantity of the glaze and popping them back under the grill for the last 15 minutes.


This actually worked really well, providing a slightly sticky glaze within minutes. The label also suggests using it as a dip for crisps or a glaze for vegetables. I would also add to that using it as a dip for chicken nuggets, a stirfry cooking sauce with pork, prawns or chicken, as a dip for potato wedges or just as a condiment in place of ketchup on the side of the plate.


Tastewise, I have to admit that I wasn't a huge fan but that's because I don't like aniseed and it has a fairly strong star anise flavour. I was in the minority though and Sophie and Madhouse Daddy loved it. 

The ingredients list is free from hidden nasties and in fact doesn't contain anything that you wouldn't find in a regular kitchen : Apple Juice, Distilled Vinegar, Tomato Puree, Cane Sugar, Onion, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Red Chilli, Cumin, Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Salt, Smoke Flavouring, Maize Starch. The product is gluten free and suitable for vegetarians, but it contains soy and is packed in an environment where milk, nuts, mustard and sulphites are used, just in case you have any food allergies.

If you want a simple way to inject some exotic flavours into your cooking or to liven up your summer BBQs, this is a great bottle to have in the cupboard.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £9.50 for 3 bottles


Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Madhouse Winter Warmer recipe : Cheesy Baked Ziti with Kale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...