Sunday 24 May 2020

Project 366 : Photo diary week 21

This week has been almost a week off. On Monday, I sat down with Pierre and we worked through all of his Monday and Tuesday work. I'd already sorted out my work for the week and uploaded the lesson plan on Sunday. Wednesday was our day off, Thursday was a bank holiday and Friday was the great French tradition of "faire le pont" (making the bridge - taking the Monday or Friday off if the bank holiday is a Tuesday or Thursday). I still had a bit of work coming in to mark, but it was a much more chilled out week this week :)


Sunday 17th May - As it was such a lovely day, we went for a long walk/scooter ride along the canal. This "green way" was opened a couple of years ago and is actually really clever. The middle lane, where we are, is the pedestrian/bike part, then, to the left and slightly higher, is the bus lane. The cars are much further and higher to the left and on the other side of the canal to the right, so you can't even see or hear them really. You're walking along what used to be a really busy main road and feel like you're in the middle of the countryside !


Monday - After doing all his schoolwork for the week, Pierre settled down for a game of Fortnite (or ten !). Towards the start of confinement, when everyone was feeling a bit down, I told each of the kids that they could spend some money that we wouldn't be spending on takeaways. Juliette bought some clothes, Sophie bought some home furnishings (getting ready for having a flat-share next year) and Pierre still hadn't spent his. Well, he finally decided to buy the Fortnite Save The World add-on game and he absolutely loves it ! He's been getting loads of extra items and keeps swapping things with people so he's totally chilled out about lockdown going on for another couple of months at least !


Tuesday - The postman knocked at the door and told me had a recommended letter for me, but I wouldn't be allowed to sign for it - he'd have to sign ! I said OK and received a letter from the court. Finally ! Over two years after Madhouse Daddy died, they have finally dealt with his case. The letter doesn't actually mean anything, it's all legal jargon, so I emailed the sollicitor who said that now, we can make an appointment to sort out the next part: putting some money into a bank account for each of the kids, to be held until they turn 18, and for Sophie to come and sign some paperwork. Well, I have no idea when she'll manage to make it back across the Channel so we'll see ! Seeing how long this has taken for the simplest of cases, I feel sorry for families who have been through divorce and remarriage - it must be a total nightmare to sort out !


Wednesday - Today was such a hot day, we even had to get the fans out to cool down the bedrooms ! We went for a long walk and came back with aching legs, but it was lovely. We managed to find a route that was pretty much free of people too. Having seen how many people are at the beach, I think we made the right decision !


Thursday - Well, it looks like we won't be doing much travelling this year. We'd booked a fortnight in the Dominican Republic and the kids were so excited about going on such an exotic holiday, but I can't see it happening now. I'm sure the prices will be much higher once we're back to travelling, so that will pretty much wipe out any dreams of going there another year. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I've been travelling mentally by reading the Stephen Fry in America book that I picked up in a charity shop.



Friday - This week's baking was to use up the last of the cherries, in some delicious fresh cherry muffins. I used up a pack of coconut sugar that was lurking in the back of the cupboard. Apart from giving them a distinct brown colour, it didn't change the taste at all.


Saturday - This coming week could well be the last week working from home. In theory, collèges (lower secondary schools) are reopening on the 2nd June in our red zone, but we'll see what happens. I offered a trip into town for the kids, but they weren't keen (too many people, didn't want to wear a mask on the bus) so I went for another walk with Pierre. We were saying that this trunk looked (very vaguely) like a duck when Pierre asked why all the bark had come off on the lower section. Well, that's a very good question. Anyone have an idea ?!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

26 comments:

  1. The canal sounds like a lovely place for a walk.
    Ahh! It is impossible for anyone to just play one game of Fortnite. My teen is the same. One game always turns into 10. lol
    I am so sorry you are still dealing with all the legal parts after your husband passed away.
    Those cherry muffins look amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know, Fortnite is obviously addictive - I don't mind too much as at least he's chatting with his school friends. For the paperwork, I'm just glad it's finally getting sorted !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the paperwork has finally been sorted, what a nightmare. Eddie doesn't play Fortnite, but he's very much into Minecraft and Roblox/Skyblox. The canal walk sounds lovely.
    Mmm, cherry muffins, I'd love a big bite. Enjoy your Stephen Fry.
    Hope your holiday will still happen, maybe next year. I also don't know if we are going to Cornwall this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm more bothered about not being able to come across to the UK and visit my family, or at least without having to be confined afterwards. We'll see what happens !

      Delete
  4. Isn't it strange how kids have adapted as well as us, by not wanting to go into town and go for a walk instead. So glad to hear you're finally sorted out the legal side after your husbands death, but such a hard thing to have to be doing, esp as it's taken so long. I've no idea what they online games are all about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange - they don't want to go to the beach (apparently very busy) or into town. Pierre did ask to go outside and see his friend yesterday for a while and I said ok, as long as they stayed distanced. He's back to school next week so I didn't mind too much and he did stay distanced as I was watching out of the window ! lol

      Delete
  5. The canal sounds like a lovely place for a walk. my kids love Fornite too. I'm so sorry you are still dealing with all the legal parts after your husband passed away. Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to have some lovely weather and to actually be able to get outside for a walk :)

      Delete
  6. The place where you walk looks amazing. So sorry to hear about your husband; I hope the legal matters get dealt with soon. The canal looks beautiful. OoOOOO cookies. True, alot of people here are actually in denial that this virus even exists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I know a guy who STILL thinks that it's not an illness and the government made it all up. Crazy ! :-o

      Delete
  7. How stressful it must have been for all the legal paperwork to have to drag on so long after your husband died. I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with that side of things for so long. Those walks along the canal look absolutely beautiful and the cherry muffins look delicious. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how long it's taken to get this far ! Hopefully, in the next couple of months, Sophie will make it home and we'll finally get it all signed off :)

      Delete
  8. what a brilliant idea putting the cycle/walk path away from traffic, we have quite a few in the 3 Ayrshire council areas but sadly you need to use roads for parts of it to link the safe routes, a bit daft really.
    So glad you have sometime off to relax, will be worrying when they all go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea as you can let the kids run/cycle up ahead without having to worry about them :) Just had confirmation, back to work on Tuesday ... :-/

      Delete
  9. Nom nom nom! Those cherry muffins look lovely - I recently has some scones substituted and received cherry scones instead. They were absolutely delicious, I totally underestimate how lovely and tasty cherries are! I need to eat the more!
    So sorry to hear about your trip to the Dom Republic, you will get to go at some point chick and you will love it. Make sure you get up and make some moves to the merengue! ;)
    I cannot believe the paperwork has taken that long! Nor that it has actually been that long now! :( Hopefully the process will speed up a little now.

    Sounds like Pierre has his head screwed on, he waited until there as something he really wanted! :) We have been spending a lot less on takeaways too so can treat ourselves every so often! Hope you are having a lovely week! Sim x #Project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about cherries - a taste of summer ! Hope you're right about the Dominican Republic - who knows how travel will shape up once we're out of confinement for good ?! In France, they're trying to tell everyone to start spending again, using all the money they've been saving to relaunch the economy !

      Delete
  10. Im sorry the paperwork has taken so long, must be tough knowing that it still all needs to be sorted.
    Sounds like Pierre is good with money waiting until there is something he really wants. We have also been spending less in general although the food bill has gone through the roof.
    Sorry to hear about the trip but you never know it maybe okay and I am thinking that there will be a lot of people that will not want to travel so there maybe a spike in prices initially but they should come down again. Least thats what I am holding onto! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about travelling - it's hard to imagine life and the world going back to normal !

      Delete
  11. I cannot believe it has been two years since your husband died, glad to hear it is all starting to work itself out now. Fortnite has been keeping my boys sane too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that it allows them to speak to their friends - at least that's one positive !

      Delete
  12. Those cherry muffins look great and what a lovely idea giving the children the freedom to spend some money on what they wanted. We don't seem to be spending much less in lockdown, if anything we seem to be spending lots more on food haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself very lucky as I've been on full pay throughout. I've been paying more on food as we're all eating at home, rather than at work, but I think the prices have stayed about the same luckily.

      Delete
  13. Some UK schools are re-opening this week but my kids aren't in the eligible years ad even if they were I'm not convinced by the safety. We have had half term this week so not done much work and I'm dreading getting back to home learning tomorrow... #project366

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cherry muffins look amazing. We can't get any here yet, to eat, but I do love them. The legal stuff looks and sounds complex added with covid in the mix, I hope you do get it sorted out when you can
    #project365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still can't go forward, as Sophie can't make it back at the moment - aaggghhhh ! lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...