Sunday 4 October 2020

Project 366 : Photo diary week 40

 What a blooming week ! I've been rushing around like a mad thing all week and this weekend ended up being a total nightmare, with the heating going wrong again today. Two weeks to the school holidays and I am absolutely ticking off the days. I need to chill out, sort out things around the house and start feeling in control of everything again. Right now, I feel like I'm skimming along on the surface, trying to stay afloat ! :-/

Sunday 27th September - A lazy day, sorting out the laundry, catching up with lesson planning and chilling out. As you can see from our evening walk, at the same time as usual, the nights are drawing in. The sunsets are long gone by the time we start strolling back home, contrary to a few weeks ago. It's starting to get dark now. Yuck !

Monday - Monday is my half day at school so I dash home for lunch, cook something quick to share with Pierre then, after waving him off back to school, I get some chill out time. Well, in theory. It usually ends up being my day to sort out all the little jobs that need doing. This afternoon, I had a big to-do list to get through, phoning around making appointments. First of all, I got on to the plumbing/heating company for our annual visit for the boiler and to sort out why our heating won't turn on. Luckily, it hasn't been too cold up to now. They're snowed under with work so the annual visit will be in November, but they'll come to check out the heating on Wednesday. I made an appointment at the dentist's, then headed off to the town hall to sort out the paperwork for renewing Pierre's ID card. A quick dash to the supermarket and that was it. The kids were already on their way home and I needed to sort out dinner. A quick spaghetti carbonara was all they were getting today !

Tuesday - Just a normal day at school, followed by dinner and a walk with the dog. I spent the evening watching Jack Whitehall's Travels With My Father in a Netflix party with Sophie. He makes me laugh but I can never work out if his father is really as bad as he makes out or if a lot of it is put on.

Wednesday - After a morning at work, I rushed home and made a quick lunch as we had an appointment with the heating man. He was pencilled in at some point between 2-5pm but actually showed up pretty quickly, around 2.30pm. He showed us what the problem was - the water level had dropped in the boiler and I needed to twist a tap to add water to bring the black needle back up in line with the red one. Simple ! He said it shouldn't need doing very often but if it did need doing, this what what I had to do. The heating started working fine again and I went round venting all the radiators to get the excess air out. Sorted !

Thursday - I had a meeting after work about my form group and which pupils need extra help. Five out of twenty two pupils have files that will be written up, giving them extra help with homework and in class so that they can catch up on their basic skills. There are usually only about two pupils maximum per class, so we think this is a result of all the time they missed out on school last year. When I got home, Juliette was happy to have been the first to arrive home for once and had made some cookies to celebrate !

Friday - Usually I start at 11 o' clock on a Friday, but today, I had been called in on overtime to help out with our year 6 (11-year-old) pupils who had a half-day activity involving all things internet and screen time. It's always quite shocking hearing them talking about what they play (GTA seems to be pretty run of the mill - I can't really say anything as I do let Pierre play Fortnite !) and there are always one or two per class who stay up until 2 or 3am playing video games. I used to think they were showing off and making it up but maybe they're not ? This would explain why they can't concentrate in class. By the time I got home, I was ready for dinner, then chilling out in front of the TV for a while. The only photo I took was this cool shot of the moon peeking through a hole in the clouds when I let the dog out !

Saturday - We headed into town for McDonald's then some shopping. Pierre got a phone case and Juliette bought a new coat. I headed into a shop to swap over our Sodastream gas cannister and the kids found some more things to buy in the reduced section - a new mirror for Juliette, some new bedding for Pierre (he's finally outgrown all his bedding with animals and cartoon characters on !) and various other bits and bobs. When we got home, Juliette decided to help out by sorting out the patio, finally emptying the paddling pool and cleaning off the paving stones. She had fun collecting all the snails and placing them on the window panes. She's such a big kid !


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

26 comments:

  1. OMG, those snails would totally creep me out! Just eeek! Sounds like a hectic week for you. Glad that the boiler issue has been sorted, you definitely need the heating working now. I've been switching the heating on every day in the past week, with all the rain it just feels damp and cold. The Moon shot is eerie and beautiful, you can just about imagine a witch on a broomstick flying by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't mind snails (although I wasn't too chuffed with the poo trails they left all over the window !). On the other hand, I hate spiders, and there seem to be loads of them too.

      Delete
  2. Glad you sorted the boiler issue out - I have to do that maybe once or twice a year when the pressure drops. It's really easy, but it does seem to pick its moments to do it. Had to giggle at the snail picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm let's not talk about the boiler ! It's still not working ... or I think maybe the radiators need venting but it's mission impossible, as the little things to twist on the radiators are either stuck or have snapped off. There is still no heating :-/

      Delete
  3. Sorry things have been so stressful. I hope you have got your heating sorted now. It sounds like such a busy week for you.
    Those snails look terrifying. I would have been massively freaked out to find them on the window. lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no heating ... :-/ Only a week to go to the holidays - bring it on ! lol

      Delete
  4. Glad the heating turned out to be a quick fix for you. We had snails climbing up our garage wall last night - not seen that before. #366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a quick fix, then it wasn't ! I hope we'll get there eventually !

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a really busy week – hope you’ve managed to get some time to chill out a bit more this week. I’m with you on not liking it when the evenings really start drawing in. Sorry to hear that your heating is not working again - hope that you've managed to get it properly fixed now. The cookies that Juliette made look delicious. I love the photo of the snails on the window. Sophie loves finding them in the garden too. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do FINALLY have the heating fixed - woohoo ! lol

      Delete
  6. Sorry your weeks are always so hectic, Tuesday evening sounds good though. I wondered the same about Jack Whitehalls father. Glad the boiler is sorted, good luck with Pierre's ID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on holiday now - two weeks to chill out, bliss ! lol

      Delete
  7. We love Jack Whitehall's Travels With My Father, his Dad's humour cracks me up. Sounds like you have had a busy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is funny, but I don't think I could live with him ! lol

      Delete
  8. Keen to get to half term here too! So looking forward to slower starts to the day! I don't know if its the change of weather or what but I think my get up and go has got up and gone! Juliette your cookies look great! haha at the photo of all the snails too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slower start to the day sounds like utter bliss - I'm now on holiday for two whole weeks, yippee ! lol

      Delete
  9. Glad you sorted the boiler issue out. Had to laugh at the snail picture. lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did, then it went wrong again but - fingers crossed - I seem to have got it working again. But the hot water is still off ... :-/ ... lol

      Delete
  10. I am counting down to half term too! I am astonished by how cold and dark it seems and the clocks haven't even changed yet! #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy ! One minute it was summer then whoosh, full blown autumn from on day to the next !

      Delete
  11. So glad to hear your heating problem was an easy fix! I am forever checking the pressure gauge to release more water in if needed! Awww Didou! :) :) :)
    Hats off too you chick, you need the half term break! I hope things are a little easier for you now, I assume as I write this comment you are about to start the holidays? Liv is finishing too today for 2 weeks and my alarm was switched off this morning! ;) What is it with kids and phone cases? So long as I have one that covers my phone, I'm happy, Liv is forever changing hers! Hope you are havng a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am now on holiday ! Bring it on !! I need to catch up on sleep, lazing around and ... a bit more lazing around ! lol. The heating was on then off again but I finally got it back on on Wednesday. The same can't be said for the hot water though :-/

      Delete
  12. I am not sure about those snails! I can not wait for half term just hoping the country doesn't go into lockdown before. Glad you managed to get the heating fixed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard with all the unknowns - we're looking ahead to Christmas and I've already said we probably won't be able to go to England to see the family :-/

      Delete
  13. That's a pretty, dark, cloudy day. That was a lot of work to do the spaghetti looks delicious. Cute dog. Great that you're giving extra help to pupils that need it. Ooo cookies! I'm quite the gamer myself but I agree GTA is run of the mill, and I can't play for more than 3 hours otherwise my head starts hurting. That's a lot of shopping. I hope the snails are enjoying themselves there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snails have slithered away - but they left poo all over the window *sigh* lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...