Friday 4 February 2011

Sharpham Park Organic Spelt Berry Puffs

Just before Christmas, the lovely people at Sharpham Park sent me a selection of their products made from spelt, a grain that I knew very little about. The first product that we tried was the Tomato & Chilli Speltotto and I was really impressed with the texture, flavour and simplicity of the product.

The next product to try was their healthy breakfast option, Berry Puffs. They explain : "Made from West Country organically milled spelt, Sharpham Park's Berry Puffs are coated with 100% natural blueberry and blackcurrant juice with a touch of delicious organic honey and insure a good source of protein and healthy fibre in every bowlful." They are free from colours, flavours and preservatives. So all very healthy, but would they pass the taste test ?

Well, they're not bad but they're not the girls' favourite option (which is what I would have expected, as the other usual breakfast suspects are much sweeter and/or chocolate-flavoured). I've tried them myself and the flavour reminds me of a cross between popcorn and those rainbow coloured puffed rice sweets you used to get at the sweetshop ! I find the texture slightly soft and soggy to my liking. They're not bad, but I prefer eating them dry out of the box than with milk. They do get the thumbs up as a healthy option though.

Sharpham Park also suggest using them as a topping for rich chocolate ice cream and I want to try them in "rice crispie" cakes because I think the blueberry and blackcurrant flavour would add extra depth to the flavour.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £2.95 for 200g

Other reviews you may be interested in :



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...