Wednesday 1 February 2012

Madhouse Family Cheesy Fish Pie recipe

I often share recipes with you, usually when I'm challenged to try out a new recipe, cookery book or food product, but I thought I'd start blogging about some of the Madhouse Family's favourite recipes too. They're not particularly innovative or amazing but they might give you some new ideas and, above all, they're simple and family-friendly. I hardly ever follow recipes to the letter so feel free to play around with mine and let me know if you make any changes that work even better than the original !

Today, we made Cheesy Fish Pie.


First of all, gently fry the white fish (we used cod but any white fish will do – fresh is best but frozen fillets would do as you're going to smash it to bits anyway). Don't overcook it as it will continue cooking in the oven. I threw in some Garlic Italian seasoning (which I reviewed here) to add some flavour but avoid salt as the smoked fish will make it salty enough. Put it in an ovenproof dish and roughly chop.



Fry a couple of onions and a handful of mushrooms. You can use the same frying pan as for the fish, to save on washing up. Chop some smoked fish (haddock, mackerel, kippers – whatever is cheapest !) and add it to the white fish, along with the mushrooms and onions.



Cook some frozen vegetables (peas and carrots works well) or use of any leftover cooked vegetables you may have in the fridge. Add to the fish. Pour over 20cl of cream and mix well.


Boil some potatoes and make mash.


Use the mash to cover the fish, as you would a shepherd's pie.


Ta-da ! Sprinkle generously with grated cheese and pop in the oven for 45 minutes until it's thoroughly warmed through and the cheese has melted and gone golden brown.

What I love about this dish is that you can prepare it the day before or first thing in the morning and leave it in the fridge until needed. It's an all in one dish so just needs throwing in the oven to warm up while you supervise homework/bathtime.

Romanian Mum

Other blogposts you may be interested in :




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I cook my own fish pie but it's really nice to see how other people do it and get new ideas. The garlic italian seasoning looks good, might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat fish at all being veggie, but hubby does like his fish. My fish pie recipe is very similar to yours but the 'cream' I use is soya cream and the cheese is lactose free. Funnily enough he had fish pie for tea tonight and I always think clean plates are a good sign :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really nice. We have fish pie quite a lot but your pictures have inspired me to add more vegetables next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all love cheese & potato pie in my house but never thought to try it with fish, thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fish pie but never thought to put carrots in - thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks lovely, fish pie is one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, looks simple enough for me to make, think my hubby would love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great and simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so simple and I agree that its great that you can prepare it in advance. I am trying to get my daughter to eat more fish so will be giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...