Friday 1 August 2014

Globe-cooking recipe : Baklava (Turkey)


When my Algerian childminder told me how easy these honey-drenched treats are to make, I have to admit, I didn't believe her, but they really are child's play to put together. It was a great way of testing out the Orange Blossom Water that Nielsen Massey had sent me through too.



Baklava


ingredients :

250g walnuts
125g pistachios
150g almonds
100g sugar
100g butter
cooking mist or extra 50g butter
4tbsp orange blossom water or orange extract
200g runny honey
1tbsp cinnamon
15 sheets of filo pastry

Blitz the nuts in a food processor until they're quite smooth but with some crunch left in them, then add the sugar, half of the orange blossom water and 100g of melted butter.

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Spray a rectangular ovenproof dish (about 25 x 30cm) with cooking mist. 

Cut the sheets of filo pastry to the dimensions of the dish. Take 5 sheets, spray each one with cooking mist or brush with melted butter and pile them up in the dish. Top with half of the nut mixture. Repeat with 5 more sheets and the other half of the nuts, then the final 5 sheets.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and mark out squares on the final layer of filo (you can use them as a guide for cutting later). Put in the oven for 20 minutes until the filo has gone golden brown.

Heat the honey and the remaining orange blossom water in a little saucepan, then drizzle over the baklava. 

These should be left to chill and dry out slightly for at least 24 hours (which is the only hard part of the recipe !)

Link up your recipe of the week


Linking up with Food of the World which is focusing on Turkish food


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Baked Apples

Globecooking recipe : Pão de Queijo (Cheese Bread) (Brazil)

6 comments:

  1. I tried baklava for the first time a few months ago and thought it was yummy - not a huge fan of honey so it surprised me how much I liked it. Thanks for the recipe :)

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these but have never tried making them. Will have to give it a try now

    ReplyDelete
  3. So impressed that you made these! I buy them often when visiting Brick Lane (there's a little bakery I love) but I've never made my own. They look fab. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. Sorry I was particularly slow getting over for this one. I've pinned it to my food board and a tweet will go out shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. orange blossom water sounds like it would be amazing in baklava! Thanks for sharing with us at Food of the World.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the Greek version many times but I think the use of orange blossom water is a great variation to the Turkish one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...