Monday 9 May 2016

Hands up if you remember Mr Frosty ! (review)


If you're a child of the eighties, I bet you hankered over one of these. I distinctly remember oohing and aahing over it in Woolworths on many a Saturday afternoon, but I never got my sweaty little mitts on one. Until now, that is, because Mr Frosty is back ! The box declares that it is The Original Mr Frosty, and it does indeed look just how I remember it, minus the sugar and undoubtedly E-number packed (this was the eighties after all !) syrups that used to come with it.


Inside the box, you get everything you need to create a multitude of frozen treats - a trio of ice lolly moulds, two trays for making fruit-shaped ice cubes, two small plastic bowls and two plastic spoons, along with a penguin dispenser for syrup or cordial to flavour your slush. The main attraction, though, is the ultra cute snowman ice crusher.


Luckily I had some ice cubes ready and waiting in the freezer. The instructions suggest leaving the ice to soften up a bit for half an hour before crushing it, to make it easier to turn the handle, but, as it was such a hot day, I put them on the patio in the sun for a couple of minutes and they were good to go ! You just take off Mr Frosty's hat and pour in the ice cubes, then use his hat to press down on the ice cubes as you turn the crank on the back. Both Juliette and Pierre got stupidly excited and took it in turns.


It's fairly hard going and I was slightly concerned that the crank didn't seem incredibly solid, but after several minutes of energetic turning, they were over the moon because they had managed to produce a drawer full of crushed ice.


As there are three Madhouse kids, I put some in each of the bowls and left the remainder in the drawer. They didn't have a huge portion each so I'd definitely make twice as many ice cubes next time.


 I'd made ice cubes with just water so we added some squeezy cordial but you could use fruit juice for a healthier option. I think it would be really nice to freeze some pureed soft fruit such as strawberries or peach then crush that for an instant healthy dessert too.


It was a really hot day and we'd all been outside watching Pierre riding his bike around the car park because he had just learnt to ride it without stabilisers, so the slushy treat was perfect for cooling down.


We also made up some ice lollies and I popped them in the freezer compartment of the fridge.


A few hours later, they were ready to eat. I held the bottoms of the lolly moulds in my hands for a couple of minutes on each lolly to slightly melt them and they slid out easily. Alternatively you could run them under the tap for a few seconds.


Big smiles all round. It's great to see the iconic toys of my childhood getting a revamp and being rereleased so that my own children can enjoy them. After rediscovering the Spirograph recently (click through to read my review) and now Mr Frosty, I'm wondering what will be next - mismatched fluorescent socks, Cabbage Patch dolls, Viewfinders or Speak & Spell maybe ?!

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £19.99

Available from Smyths and The Entertainer

Find out more about Flair’s range of creative products for children at www.coolcreateclub.co.uk

You can also join in with the Mr Frosty Twitter Frenzy @UKMumstv and @CoolCreateClub on Wednesday 11th May 5:30 - 6:30pm with the hashtag #ILoveMrFrosty (I'll be taking part @cherylp59)

Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

6 comments:

  1. Well done to Pierre on riding his bike without stabilisers. I remember these and wanting one, but never got one either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sodastream was the same - I was over the moon when we got one to review because I'd always wanted one secretly ! lol

      Delete
  2. My sister had a Mr Frosty when they were first out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted one of these when I was younger, maybe now is the time??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure i loved this more then the kids 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved my Mr frosty when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...