Tuesday 16 May 2017

Book review : The Lies Within - Jane Issac


The Lies Within by Jane Isaac is the third book in the DI Will Jackman series, but it is the first one that I have read and it is still a great read as a stand-alone novel.

The story starts with a woman called Grace Daniels in a court room, standing accused of killing someone. The action then shifts back to the events that led up to this, with Grace discovering that her beloved daughter has been horrifically murdered. I did wonder if Grace was on trial for killing her own daughter, but we soon learn that she is accused of killing a woman who considered herself a friend. I've read several books recently that use this structure and I have to say, I'm not a great fan because I think it vastly reduces the suspense and impact as the plot unfolds. From very early on, I guessed exactly where this novel was going, even the "shock" ending, so there were absolutely no surprises, which is a shame as that's half of the fun of reading a crime novel. Maybe I'm just getting too good at picking up on the clues though, as I'm such an avid reader !

Grace Daniels is an appealing and believable character who I could instantly empathise with and this kept me interested in the story, even when I'd worked out the likely outcome. Crippled by grief and barely functioning, she finds a glimmer of happiness when she catches up with an old friend by chance - she doesn't really remember her but they were at school together and they soon build up a close friendship that helps Grace through her dark days. Things quickly turn sour though when Grace tries to pull back on the friendship and get closer to her family, having somewhat pushed them away as she came to terms with her grief. This sets in motion the series of events that lead to Grace's presence in the dock at the start of the book. I can't really say any more without giving away huge spoilers !

It was an enjoyable read with a logical, if somewhat contrived, plot that reminded me, in terms of atmosphere, of the film Misery, based on Stephen King's novel. Grace and her "inner circle" are striking, well developed characters but I didn't really feel that I got to know DI Jackson, who faded into the background as a bit part - I found this surprising as he is the character designed to carry the whole series, but maybe I would have noticed him more if I'd read the other novels in the series and knew his backstory. In fact, I may have to go back to the beginning and do just that, as I'll definitely be looking out for further books in the series

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £8.99

  • Paperback: 372 pages
  • Publisher: Legend Press (2 May 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1785079271
  • ISBN-13: 978-1785079276
  • Product Dimensions: 19.9 x 3.5 x 13.1 cm



Disclosure : I received a copy of the book from the publishers in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your book reviews, they are so well-balanced. I find it that I always agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...