Wednesday 10 May 2017

Globecooking recipe : Sopa de Lima (Mexico)


Sopa de Lima is a popular soup from the Yucatan region of Mexico. The recipe from my Mexican-themed Kitchen Trotter box involved lemons, but looking around online, other versions use grapefruit or lime instead. I had my doubts when reading the ingredients list - chicken with tomatoes and lemons sounded like it could be quite bitter - and unfortunately, I was proven right. It was edible but I did find the tartness of the lemon overpowering.

 Sopa de Lima

ingredients :

leftover cooked chicken or raw chicken breast
1/2 grilled onion + 1 small onion
4 cloves of garlic (of which 2 grilled)
1tsp oregano
1tsp epazote
4 tomatoes
2 chillis (optional)
salt, pepper
2-3tbsp olive oil
1-3 lemons
tortillas to garnish (optional)


Following the recipe to the letter, I started off by grilling (or, in my case, frying in a very small amount of oil) half an onion and two cloves of garlic. With hindsight, I have to say, I think this is a totally pointless and unnecessary step so it's up to you if you leave it out or not !


The Kitchen Trotter box contained a Mexican spice called epazote, but you could substitute mint or oregano. 


Put the onion, garlic and epazote in a pan of water. If using raw chicken, boil it in this stock until it is cooked through then remove from the broth and use two forks to shred it.


I had some chicken thighs to use up from the barbecue the day before so I shredded that instead.


Fry the remaining onion and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil.


Add the tomatoes and fry until soft and mushy.


Add to the pan of broth along with the shredded chicken.


Grill two lemons, either directly over the flame on a gas hob or in a dry frying pan. Heat until the skin starts to go very slightly black in a few places.


Rather than using three lemons (two grilled and one for juice), I used one lemon and one limu amâni, a dried lemon from an Iranian-themed Kitchen Trotter box from last year. 


Slice the grilled lemon and add to the pot (I tossed in the dried lemon too). Add the chillis if using and cook for a few minutes. Squeeze in the juice of the final lemon. (I'd taste it first - mine was already very sour.)


Remove the lemons (I added a slice for decorative purposes).


Grill or fry some tortillas - I used up the offcuts from my homemade tortillas from the chalupas de salsa verde.


Scatter over the top of the soup and serve.



Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky as it used up some leftover barbecued chicken and a dried lemon.

2 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like an intriguing soup, I think skipping the lemons entirely would be more to my taste though!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    Coffee & Avocados

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh This is one Im going to try! Thank you for posting and for such good instructions as well! Easy to follow

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...